Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

urvashi

such a cute tort. please feed him cuttle fish bone good as calcium source as well good for his beak/mouth helps sharpen it. also my torts love tomatoes and cucumber . u can feed that once a week.

Gattu N'Coco

Location (City and/or State)
india
hi, i am glad u started this thread. i have 2 lovely torts and i just love them. they love french beans cucumber and tomatoes. hibiscus leaves as well. the dp pic is quite old when i was gifted them
Do not give French beans and tomatoes. Limit cucumbers as well. Give any kind of hay.. those given to cows is ok too. Hibiscus and dhania.. romaine lettuce is the best but difficult to get in India. I was feeding that too I didn't know and my vet said protein is not good for them it will affect its kidneys and liver

seanang168

10 Year Member!
y8FMrOk.jpg

Anyone fed this to your Star? I am thinking of cutting it up, remove the spines and feed it to mine

PAVAN

Bangalore
Can raddish(white in colour ) can be given or only the leaves of raddish as well can carrot be given?..and per day how many times should I feed my star Tortoise it's of 2.5 to 3 inch...

urvashi

hi, nice to follow this thread.. i have 2 beautiful torts , the only feed on beans , tomato , lady fingers, cucumber .. when they were little they used to eat to coriander and sometimes hibiscus leaves..l but now they just sit on corainder leaves ... loves french beans and tomatoes... and bhendi... i also give them cuttle fish bone for calcium . 2 years back i used to clean egg shells and they used to love that too... i dont know wht is pyramiding but they look very active and healthy to me. . i will post a pic of them . also there are very few vets here who know how to treat torts. i usually take online advice.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
y8FMrOk.jpg

Anyone fed this to your Star? I am thinking of cutting it up, remove the spines and feed it to mine

All tortoises can feed cactus, it’s quite good for them. That one is going to be difficult to despine; some members burn them off with a torch gun; others go over them with a peeler or a plastic scrubber. I’m not sure that will work for you.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Can raddish(white in colour ) can be given or only the leaves of raddish as well can carrot be given?..and per day how many times should I feed my star Tortoise it's of 2.5 to 3 inch...

Pavan your tortoise is a grazer and should be allowed as much as he wants every day. If there is leftover at the end of the day, try a little more the next day. If it isn’t enough, add more.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
hi, nice to follow this thread.. i have 2 beautiful torts , the only feed on beans , tomato , lady fingers, cucumber .. when they were little they used to eat to coriander and sometimes hibiscus leaves..l but now they just sit on corainder leaves ... loves french beans and tomatoes... and bhendi... i also give them cuttle fish bone for calcium . 2 years back i used to clean egg shells and they used to love that too... i dont know wht is pyramiding but they look very active and healthy to me. . i will post a pic of them . also there are very few vets here who know how to treat torts. i usually take online advice.

Welcome Urvashi! We’re glad you’re here.

I’m afraid your diet is poor, or at least the tomato is; beans and lady fingers are okay on occasion, not every day. Same goes for cucumber. When you say bhindi, do you mean the leaves? Those are good.

Please read the foods at the beginning of this thread and check out the other threads for Indian owners pinned to the top of the Star forum:https://tortoiseforum.org/forums/indian-star-and-burmese-star-tortoises.94/ for other ideas. They may not like hibiscus but if you stop feeding tomatoes they’ll have to give it a try eventually!

You can make your own thread in the Star forum and paste pictures of your tortoises and enclosure, we love to see tortoise pictures!

Siya Sharma

India
Hi guys,

I am Siya from Madhya Pradesh, India. I am owner of a two year old Star tortoise 'Kichhu' .

I am very happy to join this thread. Good to know that there are other star tortoise owner like me in India. This forum is really helpful to share and solve queries related to tortoise.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
All tortoises can feed cactus, it’s quite good for them. That one is going to be difficult to despine; some members burn them off with a torch gun; others go over them with a peeler or a plastic scrubber. I’m not sure that will work for you.

There are a few other members in other threads that commented that they are not sure about this particular cactus. One said that certain cactus can cause hallucinations in humans. So I am a bit concerned. Maybe I would try a bit first

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
There are a few other members in other threads that commented that they are not sure about this particular cactus. One said that certain cactus can cause hallucinations in humans. So I am a bit concerned. Maybe I would try a bit first

Oh my goodness. What is the exact name? I would want to look at that more closely.

kapil

no raddish,only leaves and gudhal flowers and leaves, also shehtoot leaves are good,dhaniya,bhindi etc....check the tortoise table website or download the app from google play.

Mishti

They would love beans n lady fingers... Lady finger isn't harmful but beans are. Avoid giving beans on a regular basis.

Brevo

Gujarat, India
Hey Shanu lovely star you got there. You've got me noticing this as I see your little cutie's picture because I, too, have a star native to Kutchh and it looks ridiculously similar to yours. It's called Brevo, 18yo male, and it's the most active and jolly star Tortoise you'd ever see. Hope he is doing fine.
Regards from Ahmedabad

Ruchi

Nashik
IMG_20180629_113135_HHT.jpg IMG_20180629_113044.jpg IMG_20180629_113122_HHT.jpg Hey guys! I just got this beautiful tort yesterday and i was hoping you guys would be able to help me out a little,i want to know the gender of this tortoise and his/her age.Also wanted to know if tort looks healthy or not.Will be waiting for a reply.Thanks!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Forgive me for not reading thru the whole thread so perhaps I've missed something, but aren't star tortoises illegal to own in India?