Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Old thread but would like to know if found out the answer?
I am new owner of Star and hoping to learn more how to take care this little fella.
Hello, actually nobody replied me. My tortoise does eat the jasmine flowers. But I read somewhere that certain varieties of Jasmine maybe mildly toxic? So I stopped giving.

I found a place with Hibicus recently and I have fed my tortoise with it at times.

netjerk

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Hello, actually nobody replied me. My tortoise does eat the jasmine flowers. But I read somewhere that certain varieties of Jasmine maybe mildly toxic? So I stopped giving.

I found a place with Hibicus recently and I have fed my tortoise with it at times.

Good to know this, thank you.

rolley

I bought a tortoise 3 days ago...but he is not eating anything...what to do

dr-green69

india
what's the matter guys???? aren't there any star owners from india????
hi im form vadodara Gujarat and i have some queries regarding diet. is there any other way to contact u?? i have 1 male and 1 female and female is quiet old and shes 15 inch long

dr-green69

india
@shanu hi im from in vadodara Gujarat and i have 1 male and 1 female full size and female is giant shes 15 inch long and i feed them mulberry lives and hibiscus flowers and tomatoes and cucumbers occasionally and i want some suggestions about substrate i currently have garden soil in enclosure. can u give me some suggestions? should i use soil or should i change it with something else hope to get ur reply asap

Rahul15

Anyone from mumbai???
Need help for substrate and other queries for my new baby star 'CHIKU'
Please reply ASAP

Skyh3ck

India
what help you need in Mumbai, since its not allowed to keep tortoise as pet, no body will say it openly, but many people have it,

if you have bought new star tortoise, they wont eat for few days in a new enviornment, its normal, even they may sleep for few days thats ok, but keep checking, just give them their time and get used to new location, they will start recognizing you and new home

jatin sharma

Delhi
Hey fellas!!! I have a male indian star tortoise from last 20 days.He is of about 1yr of age.I am keeping him in vivarium box of size 17.7×15.5×11cm.I live in the city of India in which in coming winters sun will not show up for 2-3months. So,I'm little worried about his care.I have few doubts which are :-
1. Do I have to buy different lamps for providing UVB light and heat or both can be given by single lamp?if only single lamp is required than can you suggest me any good company??
2. There are variety of UVB lamps in the market which emitts UVB from 3% to 97%. Which one will be the best for my tortoise??
3. if I'll have to keep on his heating lamp at night than how my tortoise will be able to sleep?
and also pls suggest me good heating and UVB bulbs which can be delivered in India.

locado999

5 Year Member
hello Preet, congratulation on being the owner of one of the most amazing creations of God... :)

i would definitely like to see his pic and his enclosure.....
well didn't you name him/her?

regarding the diet i suggest you to do a little bit of changes...
coriander is good so you can feed as a staple diet...

cabbage is not good for your star and for any tortoise... as Cabbage contains goitrogens that interfere with thyroid activity and could damage the liver and kidneys and you wouldn't be wanting that to happen as there are literally no good reptile vets in India and its not good for your torts health.....

beans are very high in protein and low in fibre which might result in abnormal growth... so not everyday as a staple diet but sometime as a treat if he/she likes it......

you can try hibiscus flower too..... they are the favourite of almost every tort..... you can just buy a small plant from the nursery and it will yield a good no. of flowers.....

Methi patta is also good .... but mostly available in the winter....

Mulli ke patte/Radish greens are also good.....

wheat grass/ "gehu ki ghas" "sorry for the wrong spelling of the hindi words.... you can grow the wheat grains in a small pot and they will germinate in a week and you can give it mixed with the other veggies and stuff...... i myself have grown a small veggie garden for my tort.....

and here are some links to foreign veggies' seeds available at a very reasonable cost online...... i myself am gonna order few packs..... so i think you might want to try them....
they are all on ebay:
lettuce

romaine lettuce

parris island lettuce

i hope this info helps you regarding the diet for your new friend :) :)

:tort::tort::tort:
Hi bro. I think lettuce and cabbage are similar kind of veggies. Can we feed them lettuce?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Akhil

India
Help me wid gender please
If u wnt I wl post pics of my torts