call of the wildman

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
Probably going to bring damnation onto myself from the rest of the forum,but..I eat turtles. Along with fish,frogs,gator,squirrel,rabbits,deer,wild hog,ducks,blackbirds,doves,quail,and the occasional beaver. Not twice a week,mind you,but maybe twice a year. The lake I harvest them from is literally choked with softshells,and I don't feel at all bad about eating a couple every year. I know they've had a lot better life than many captive ones,and it is ended quickly and humanely,unlike many captive ones who waste away for years. I have great respect for any animal,or plant,for that matter,that dies,so that I may eat. I love turtles,watching them,ID'ing them,and occasionally making a pot of soup or sauce piquant from them and inviting friends over to share. Nothing is ever wasted.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jackrat said:
Probably going to bring damnation onto myself from the rest of the forum,but..I eat turtles. Along with fish,frogs,gator,squirrel,rabbits,deer,wild hog,ducks,blackbirds,doves,quail,and the occasional beaver. Not twice a week,mind you,but maybe twice a year. The lake I harvest them from is literally choked with softshells,and I don't feel at all bad about eating a couple every year. I know they've had a lot better life than many captive ones,and it is ended quickly and humanely,unlike many captive ones who waste away for years. I have great respect for any animal,or plant,for that matter,that dies,so that I may eat. I love turtles,watching them,ID'ing them,and occasionally making a pot of soup or sauce piquant from them and inviting friends over to share. Nothing is ever wasted.

:cool:

I occasionally eat snappers, myself, but you really have to stew the meat for a long time to make it chewable. Is soft-shell meat as tough?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
He drives me nuts.. and so do the other people on the show.. seems to be an Awful Lot of 'chainsaw accidents... . and i hate the call he yells..
just not for me..
Skunk guy.. its ok,, but id FIRE stormy.... And trapping is not inhumane... but they refuse to use them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jackrat said:
Probably going to bring damnation onto myself from the rest of the forum,but..I eat turtles. .

Hell fire and damnation!!!! :p

I used to raise calves to butcher for our freezer. Same thing right? They had the cutest, kindest big brown eyes.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
emysemys said:
jackrat said:
Probably going to bring damnation onto myself from the rest of the forum,but..I eat turtles. .

Hell fire and damnation!!!! :p

I used to raise calves to butcher for our freezer. Same thing right? They had the cutest, kindest big brown eyes.

i know., kinda like doe eyes.

dont tell anyone, but i too had softshell turtle and gator when i lived in florida 30 years ago.i wouldnt kill it.... but i ate it. i dated at the time a good old boy. sorry, no names. 'lol'

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Terry Allan Hall said:
jackrat said:

I occasionally eat snappers, myself, but you really have to stew the meat for a long time to make it chewable. Is soft-shell meat as tough?
Softshell is a little lighter and more tender than snappers. A big slider is awful good too.

terryo said:
OMG! I'm glad I'm a city gal. I only get to see this stuff in the grocery freezer.
It's all in the proper handling after the kill and the preparation. A beaver,slow cooked on a water pan smoker rivals kobe beef in my book. Frog legs are food from heaven!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jackrat said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
jackrat said:

Softshell is a little lighter and more tender than snappers. A big slider is awful good too.

Good to know...thanx! :cool:

terryo said:
OMG! I'm glad I'm a city gal. I only get to see this stuff in the grocery freezer.
It's all in the proper handling after the kill and the preparation. A beaver,slow cooked on a water pan smoker rivals kobe beef in my book. Frog legs are food from heaven!

Frog legs are the best! :p

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I finally saw this show!! I watched a marathon with the kids yesterday and all of our mouths fell open!!! I think he is a little bit crazy but sweet. He has very unorthodox way's of trapping and handling animals but I don't think he ever hurt any of them.
The episode where all of the rats were falling on him will give me nightmares for years!!!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
CtTortoiseMom said:
I finally saw this show!! I watched a marathon with the kids yesterday and all of our mouths fell open!!! I think he is a little bit crazy but sweet. He has very unorthodox way's of trapping and handling animals but I don't think he ever hurt any of them.
The episode where all of the rats were falling on him will give me nightmares for years!!!

i know, i couldnt belive how many rats were there, i would have moved. dont mind pet rats , but that was nasty.'lol'

Status
Not open for further replies.