California Tortoise Keepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachael

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
Have you guys noticed all the new members this week? I was just wondering how many of us Californian's were on the forum now. I can't remember us having a thread like this before but it might be beneficial as a reference to the new guys in the sense that we have the means (due to our climate) to mostly house outdoors year round AND grow our own weeds and what not. Advice on just whatever works for us here, plus its fun reminding everyone who their neighbors are.

Anyway, you know who I am.. but just in case:

Im Rachael
I live in Long Beach
I keep the torts you see in my signature outdoors year round.
The hatchlings go outside in the day but come in at night until the temps warm up.
I just began growing DT seed mixes in hope for some blooms in early summer.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't know if I'm doing this right but I'll just follow along.

Hello neighbors...

I'm Fernando
I live in Whittier
I currently only have one Sulcata tortoise, however I am tortoise sitting a Leopard Hybrid at the moment.
During the winter season I have my tortoise in a 60 gallon aquarium with an MVB bulb running 12 hours a day
A Ceramic Heat Element (50 watt) 24 hours a day. Access to water (water dish) 24 hrs a day
The weather is getting warmer so they will be placed in their outdoor enclosure pretty soon and brought in at night.
I will be planting grazing seed mix in a few days

Dexter111

5 Year Member
Hi Rachael,

I'm Gil and I have a 4 month old cherry headed red footed tortoise.
I live in San Jose and I will be keeping him in doors for the foreseeable future.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm in California...Clovis to be exact! That's right in the middle of California and just east of Fresno.

I have 15 different types of turtle and tortoise, that add up to around 120 or so individual animals. Most of my tortoises graze, but a few I have to feed.

I have all the different types listed in my bio.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
Shelly said:
Not sure I understand what you're asking....

I wasnt really asking anything. Just having a little fun with a meet and greet type friend. Plus its nice to know whos local and what theyve got going on.. especially for newer members. I remember when I joined the forum at first I searched "California" a bunch of times to see the types of enclosures and plants people had and what would be feasible for my area.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I'm Mary Anne
I live in Bakersfield :(
I have an 11 yr Ornate boxie, 18 yr CDT, 4 hatchling CDT's.
I grow everything they eat.
For now, everyone is outside during the day and inside at night.
I love my torties!

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
Im a tattoo artist from sacramento and i own one star tortoise that will be a year this month. I plan on getting more eventually but the one i have wasnt cheap and i only really wanna own star tortoises.

Also i own quite a few different frog and toad species.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im Laura
I live Near Auburn above Sacramento.
I have 4 sulcatas and one russian.. outdoors year round,
with heat for winter.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Im Jacob,
i live in Whittier california,
one baby sulcata, indoors at night
outside during the day,
17 years old, have alot to learn, and know more then most 17 year olds my age :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...I am a new member :) I live in the high desert, Apple Valley. I have had a hard time keeping my Desert Tortoises out during the winter months recently due to the large volume of rain paired with the teen temps here last year and the start of this year...I have about determined I am calling "uncle" on leaving my guys out for the winter months. We live relatively close to the north side of the San Bernardino Mountains.....I can't handle the stress of flood or freeze posibilities anymore :) However....they sure did enjoy the sunny day today and will be out from here on out...unless we have another freakish freeze spell. I am here if anyone needs me..

Toodles.
Oh yeah;
1 beautiful Son
4 adult male Desert Tortoise
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Crazy Dogs

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
I'm Cathy. I live in Orcutt, Ca (Northern Santa Barbara County)
I have one approx. year old Hermann's (and a younger one that belongs to my daughter). They are in my classroom for now and go outside during the day when it is warm enough.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am Angi. I live in Ramona, it is NE of down town San Diego. A little more rural and mountainy than most of San Diego also warmer.
I have two CDT yearlings. They live in a tort table, but go outside in a rabbit cage for sunshine. I am going to turn a large dog kennal into a safe out door enclosure for them so they can spend more time outside. I also have a Three Toed Box turtle. She just went back outside to her deck box. I am almost finished with her bigger turtle garden, but need to let all the plants take root before she can move in. She is a digger and will distroy them if she goes in now.
I love being able to grow food for my torts and find taking care of them to be a relaxing ecsape from life.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
ascott said:
Hi...I am a new member :) I live in the high desert, Apple Valley. I have had a hard time keeping my Desert Tortoises out during the winter months recently due to the large volume of rain paired with the teen temps here last year and the start of this year...I have about determined I am calling "uncle" on leaving my guys out for the winter months. We live relatively close to the north side of the San Bernardino Mountains.....I can't handle the stress of flood or freeze posibilities anymore :) However....they sure did enjoy the sunny day today and will be out from here on out...unless we have another freakish freeze spell. I am here if anyone needs me..

Toodles.
Oh yeah;
1 beautiful Son
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Crazy Dogs

Do you plan on keeping them indoors or in the garage to hibernate? Ive read of some making hibernation boxes in their garages but Im not sure exactly how they went about it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
rachael said:
ascott said:

Toodles.
Oh yeah;
1 beautiful Son
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Crazy Dogs

Do you plan on keeping them indoors or in the garage to hibernate? Ive read of some making hibernation boxes in their garages but Im not sure exactly how they went about it.

I have one really really really old timer who came to me near blind and some type of old tumor....I also suspect he has had a bout with the respitory ills prior to me becoming his host (he has some tall tale signs) so I kept him up last year...he has a sleeping box that is snuggled in a huge closet in a converted garage...and he has an indoor area that I provide artificial heat/basking light...when it is this time of year he stays out from morning until it gets chilly then he comes back Inside. The other three guys stayed inside in their own boxes (in different space after their outdoor sleeping became too wet/freezing) due to I have suspicion of the respiratory possibilty and I don't want to take any chances with my other guys. The healthy (so far they seem healthy) guys each have their own individual enclosures separate and unto themselves ....as they are all ruffienz ..two are just out of adolescence entering adulthood and my other one is an adult a typical male ...very awesome.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I'm in Redlands!

wilt

5 Year Member
Hello. Im wil, and i have a baby Sulcata. Im in Walnut Park. (90255)

Status
Not open for further replies.