California Thistle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've always called that one just plain "thistle". I didn't know it was CA thistle. I feed it to my torts whenever I find it. The spines don't seem to bother them at all.

mommatheboss

RaymondCalifornia
I've always called that one just plain "thistle". I didn't know it was CA thistle. I feed it to my torts whenever I find it. The spines don't seem to bother them at all.
Thanks! It took my forever to find it in a search bc "thistle" also showed milk thistle and others I'm not familiar with. I decided to go with a regional thistle search and finally figured out the proper name.
I will probably be posting more weed questions. I live in the mountains and have a multitude of them, but want to be 100% in safety. There are a lot of very similar plants out there. Looking forward to learning more!
Thanks again

The Netherlands
Hi!

Yes, thistle is safe. If you’re not sure about certain weeds or plants, you can use TortoiseTable. I don’t know if you’ve already heard of it. They also have an app. It shows which plants, flowers, vegetables, succulents, etc. are safe or unsafe with pictures and everything. It really helps me! I don’t have a tortoise yet, but I am already learning a lot about his/her food, haha.

I also get confused sometimes when there are multiple plants with the same name. I just try to look at the pictures and figure it out hahaha.

Good luck with food hunting!