California legless lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
I used to dig these up in my parents' backyard all the time, but I hadn't seen one since I moved out. I've never met anyone who knew they even existed, so I wanted to find one to bring to my education program. For the last year I've been searching their yard every couple of weeks with no luck, and I was beginning to think the local population had gone extinct.

On Tuesday my sister's cat dragged one into the house. The poor little guy is a very small individual who has lost his tail. He's got a superficial wound on his side, but no punctures that we can find. After a couple of betadine baths and some antibacterial ointment he's looking pretty good. So far he hasn't shown any interest in eating tiny mealworms, I may have to get him some flightless fruitflies or go digging in my compost heap for something really tiny.

I'll get some pictures next time I get him out to doctor him up. Has anyone ever kept/seen/heard of these guys?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm glad you're able to get his guy back into shape after the cat dragged him in. Will you be releasing him?

Check to make sure its legal to collect California legless lizards from the wild...

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm not planning to release him since my family refuses to keep their #%$^&@#$ cats inside. I will be doing what I can to make the yard more hospitable for any remaining legless lizards, though.

I'm allowed to collect one legless lizard as long as I have a fishing license. As soon as he's healed up, this one will be going into a big tub of substrate so he can burrow properly.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've never kept them since I don't live in California where they're native and protected, but I used to have a small group of European legless lizards commonly known as Slow Worms, Anguis fragilis. They were awesome! Easy to care for, easy to handle, just all round great. I was told at the time by a fellow legless lizard keepers in California that the native species and Slow Worm were nearly identical characteristics and care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen one here. Love to see some pics.

conservation

10 Year Member!
I would keep it on 75/25 sand soil mixture. I would keep some leaf litter and oak bark on the sand. Keep the substrate slightly damp. In the wild, they are usually found after it has rained. They are not rare just secretive. I would add a large quantity of small earth/red worms to the soil so they have a constant food source.

Status
Not open for further replies.