Calcium water soak idea

Mitortuga

Location (City and/or State)
Richardson
So I read to save boiled egg water to add to garden, because of the calcium in it

Would this same water of benefit?
I save eggshells, and thought if ok I can boil, strain, n soak.

I have in past boiled carrots and soaked my tortoise in the water.

Mitortuga

Richardson
So I read to save boiled egg water to add to garden, because of the calcium in it

Would this same water be of benefit?
I save eggshells, and thought if ok I can boil, strain, n soak.

I have in past boiled carrots and soaked my tortoise in the water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The eggshells don't dissolve into the water, so there is likely zero benefit to this. I would't do it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was curious, so I asked my friend, Google about this. Seems calcium DOES leech out of the egg shell into the water when boiling eggs. Here's just ONE of the responses my friend gave me:

When you boil eggs, either for easter decorating or a healthy lunchtime snack, the calcium from those eggshells actually seeps into the water. By using this leftover liquid to water your plants, you'll be enriching them with some much-needed calcium—just make sure the water is back to room temperature before you use it. Your plant's pH levels should usually be just fine, but you can get a testing kit pretty inexpensively to make sure. Although the hard-boiled egg water is far from magical, it can still have some benefits for your plant—especially if your plant's results come back super acidic. What an eggstraordinary find!

So I don't see that it would be harmful to soak your tortoise in it too, but I wouldn't depend upon this as the only means of getting calcium into your tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was curious, so I asked my friend, Google about this. Seems calcium DOES leech out of the egg shell into the water when boiling eggs. Here's just ONE of the responses my friend gave me:

When you boil eggs, either for easter decorating or a healthy lunchtime snack, the calcium from those eggshells actually seeps into the water. By using this leftover liquid to water your plants, you'll be enriching them with some much-needed calcium—just make sure the water is back to room temperature before you use it. Your plant's pH levels should usually be just fine, but you can get a testing kit pretty inexpensively to make sure. Although the hard-boiled egg water is far from magical, it can still have some benefits for your plant—especially if your plant's results come back super acidic. What an eggstraordinary find!

So I don't see that it would be harmful to soak your tortoise in it too, but I wouldn't depend upon this as the only means of getting calcium into your tortoise.
......and I suppose you would need to add more water for a tort soak (depending on the size of your tort maybe) so I would think the calcium would be further diluted.

Mitortuga

Richardson

Thank you for your response. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
No just bath in fresh warm shallow water. They will drink, walk around and poo in the water. Putting calcium in there is a waste and pointless. Dust fresh green veg with calcium once or twice a week and that is sufficient. A good thing to add to your enclosure is a cuttlefish bone. It can stay untouched for months snd then suddenly you spot it nibbling and crunching away.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You can still use boiled egg matter that would otherwise go to waste in the way of the shells.
I sometimes microwave the shells to get rid of the thin membrane inside. Then grind them into a powder for my wifes birds and to mix up into Mazuri for my tortoises.
I also use whole boiled eggs. Shells still on. Mashed into oblivion and fed to my tortoises.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I mean it’s a warm water with some calcium trace in it. We usually just dump it right ? So giving it a try can’t be really harmful.
Same as adding old coffee grinds and tea into the soil costs me nothing and some say plants like it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I mean it’s a warm water with some calcium trace in it. We usually just dump it right ? So giving it a try can’t be really harmful.
Same as adding old coffee grinds and tea into the soil costs me nothing and some say plants like it.
I don't see any harm in it.
And maybe there's a benefit?

Relic

Here
Fascinating thread. I've often proposed the similar benefits to society of gathering a beautiful bag full of fresh broccoli, carefully steaming the produce until it emits the noxious odor it is so famous for, and then quickly tossing the pot-full of disgusting greenery over the back fence into the neighbor's yard...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Fascinating thread. I've often proposed the similar benefits to society of gathering a beautiful bag full of fresh broccoli, carefully steaming the produce until it emits the noxious odor it is so famous for, and then quickly tossing the pot-full of disgusting greenery over the back fence into the neighbor's yard...
Is it strange that I like that smell?