Calcium question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mow'scaretaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Hiya everyone!
I hope everyone is doing well today! :) I have a quick question about how much calcium supp I should be giving Mow. He's about 3-5 years old. He weighs about 1.6 lbs. Does anyone know how much supplement they should have approx. in milligrams?

Thanks!
~Trina

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Not in milligrams but I put the calcium in a salt shaker and give a light dusting over their food.

M

Maggie Cummings

That's what I do too...I have TNT and Calcium both in a shaker...it makes it easy to use...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Total Nutrition for Tortoises (specifically Russian tortoises but it's just ground up weeds and yummies; all natural) from carolinapetsupply.com

auerdoan

5 Year Member
so cal
This sounds like a good idea,
is it safe for Leopards and of all sizes?

im trying out some
Repti calcium with d3

it reads
min c 380,000 mg
max c 430,000 mg
vit d3 min 22,907 iu

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My personal thought is that only pure calcium should be supplemented for torts that get UVB (bulb or sun). I would not supplement anything but pure calcium. Vitamin D3 in particular is fat soluble and over supplementing it can be toxic. The tort produces its own D3 from UVB. Calcium is water soluble and is safe to give without worry of overdose. My opinion; do your own research and see what you think. I would buy the human supplement "Calcium Carbonate" powder, such as NOW. Cheaper than reptile supplements and more highly regulated as the FDA governs over human supplements. Pure calcium and TNT is all I would ever use when the tort is getting a varied diet. Yes, TNT is safe for all torts. You also can't overdose the tort on this as it's only naturally ground up stuff, not vitamins.

auerdoan

5 Year Member
so cal
i was thinking using the human supplement. as a replacmenet.

but now a can of worms just opened up.

i plan on keeping my tort outside anytime it over 70 f.
i have a young one he's a little larger than the size of a racquet ball cut in half.
and when the sun is out he goes for the shade offered to him i measured 100 in the sun shade 89.
im worried he cant get his uv/d3 without his sun.

im thinking of putting a sun diffuser to lower the temp but i dont want to decrease his uv.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
auerdoan, if your little Leo is outside he will convert the UVB light the sun emits to D3 even if he heads for the shade. And if you have a UVB light in his Viv he will make the D3 inside also. So you could use the pure calcium carbonate (people grade) for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.