Calcium deposits on shell & water filter systems

ben awes

5 Year Member
This might be a new one! I think over time that calcium scale/deposits are building up on the shell of my Aldabra Uncle Bri. I have a humidifier in the humid hide where he spends a lot of his time and because the process is so slow I have not really noticed. It's seems to me that his shell is covered with a thin layer of calcium scale.

How to get it off is the queston! "IF" I stop using hard water in the humidifier will the deposits shed over time or do I need to clean them off? if so, how? I don't want to scratch or damage his shell in any way. Vinegar and tooth brush? Lemon juice?

Second, what are you all using for water supply? Do you filter, do you have a whole house filter, do you use reverse osmosis systems? Living in a northern climate this is more of an issue because most water comes through the pipes and if its hard water then it has to be dealt with somehow.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

zovick

10 Year Member!
This might be a new one! I think over time that calcium scale/deposits are building up on the shell of my Aldabra Uncle Bri. I have a humidifier in the humid hide where he spends a lot of his time and because the process is so slow I have not really noticed. It's seems to me that his shell is covered with a thin layer of calcium scale.

How to get it off is the queston! "IF" I stop using hard water in the humidifier will the deposits shed over time or do I need to clean them off? if so, how? I don't want to scratch or damage his shell in any way. Vinegar and tooth brush? Lemon juice?

Second, what are you all using for water supply? Do you filter, do you have a whole house filter, do you use reverse osmosis systems? Living in a northern climate this is more of an issue because most water comes through the pipes and if its hard water then it has to be dealt with somehow.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have dealt with this same thing, Ben. Vinegar is recommended for descaling coffee makers periodically and it works for tortoises as well. I would personally recommend using vinegar over lemon juice, but either should work. You just need to use a mild acid to dissolve the calcium deposits. If you warm the vinegar first it works better than when at room temperature. Then wipe the tortoise's shell with a cloth or paper towel soaked in the warm vinegar, it should dissolve the calcium scale. A toothbrush will also work in the harder to reach areas. Obviously, you should try to keep the acidic liquid away from the tortoise's eyes, but if it gets into them, flush them with lukewarm water.

You could install a water softener in your home if you own it. It will get more calcium out of your water than a simple filter in my opinion. I lived and raised tortoises in the mountains of extreme northwestern CT for 30 plus years, and the water there is very hard, plus has iron in it. I had to use a water softener to keep the calcium scale and red iron stains down to a minimum.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
We have a water softener in our home due to the very hard water. I am rather conscious that the limescale is actually a good source of calcium so make a conscious effort to give Joe drinking water from the one tap that has unsoftened water.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey Ben, I use only distilled water in my fogger per manufacturer instructions, but mine have dechlorinated tap water in their water dishes where they often just sit and chill. That leaves them with white rim on their shells looking like a skirt, and the worst is their legs are covered with that nasty white limy film. I use coconut oil after their bath used to do it about every couple of wks but lately noticed that it takes care of that nasty white film, so they get the "coco oil massage" as often as I weekly. I don't think it per se takes the lime scale off, but it for sure makes their shells and legs look "back to normal". Side note, I have to use soft bristle brush dipped in EV coconut oil and gently rub it into their legs, my babies legs are very coarse textured so just "smear/spread motion" doesn't get the job done but the very soft old toothbrush does. I know! I sound like I need something to do to keep myself busy ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488034511.423372.jpg this is my little Tucker's leg. See how nasty white it looks?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488034630.990803.jpgand Shellie's head and neck from submerging when she drinksImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488034744.933046.jpg one of Shellie's attributes are her gorgeous legs but here the colors don't really show that much. This is all pre-bath/coco oil massage ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488035527.283218.jpgsee the difference. I wipe off the excess with cotton or soft paper towel. And they keep this nice polished look for few days. I know that coconut oil is one of those controversial topics here but this is just something that I DO FOR MY PETS. It works for us. Some day in a future they will move to their tortoise garden (outdoors) full time at which point this whole thing may and probably will change, but I thought I'd share my current experience with this. Have a great weekend:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
People need to remember that the lime deposits are not harmful. They're not pretty, but they won't cause your tort problems.

It's a cosmetic decision as to whether or not you do anything.

Limescale on the skin will be shed when the skin sheds naturally. Even those living in soft water areas can look pretty tatty and horrible as they gradually shed skin. It's not something you have to treat.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
People need to remember that the lime deposits are not harmful. They're not pretty, but they won't cause your tort problems.

It's a cosmetic decision as to whether or not you do anything.

Limescale on the skin will be shed when the skin sheds naturally. Even those living in soft water areas can look pretty tatty and horrible as they gradually shed skin. It's not something you have to treat.
True! Purely cosmetic and probably impossible to keep up with the outdoors kept torts or if you have bunch of them like Tom or Yvonne and others who either breed or rescue torts. I am just a hobby keeper and simply having lots of fun doing stuff with my "babies".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use regular tap water for soaking and drinking, but for shell spraying, I use distilled water or collected rainwater. This avoids this problem entirely for me and I've been doing it this way for years.

I have one of those hand help sprayers that you pump up. I give the tortoises a quick spray several times a day and I spray them off well after a soak.

Ben, if you do nothing, it will wear off in a few weeks, as long as you aren't continually adding to it.

ben awes

5 Year Member
thanks all, i appreciate the comments. we are looking at getting a full house filter because the hard water effects more than just the torts. either way it sounds like most of you think the scale is not dangerous. Seems like it would inhibit UV absorption if it got bad enough? I did spend some time with some vinegar and a soft sponge and rinsed him well after and it seems to have helped.

Ben