Caimans in Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Sorry to all who where excited by the fact that caimans have been sighted in KS, it is not the next invasive species. I wonder though, could they put on ruby slippers to get back to South America :p (is that where they are from or Africa?)

I was actually bored and was just looking at the reptile events forum because I think it would be neat to go to one this year. I went onto the website for one of the ones that wasn't in my area but sounded neat, which then led to one some what close by. On the website for the event they also were selling reptiles, the usual ball pythons, beardies, torts and geckos, they also had some tarantulas, maybe some amphibians if I remember right. Any ways, they had caimans on there.

This is one of those curiousity threads that you start when you are bored and find something neat and what to know more about. So, here is the big question, drum roll please:

How can you keep caimans in Kansas! They were dwarf caimans, but those still get big right? So they couldn't be inside. How would you keep them and how difficult would it be to do so?

Any info on caimans or crocs or alligators in captivity (or the wild) would be awesome because this has arroused my curiosity. I would proably never keep one, but who knows.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
My friend has some and his them out in a dome greenhouse with sand bottom....and a big waterfall pond.....it's really cool. I'd post pics but he doesn't have them legally

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
AustinASU said:
My friend has some and his them out in a dome greenhouse with sand bottom....and a big waterfall pond.....it's really cool. I'd post pics but he doesn't have them legally

Wouldn't want you to, reptile enthusiasts (spelling?) got to watch out for each other. :p

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Go for an african dwarf crocodile.....in my opinion they are hardier and they aren't as finicky as the caimans

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You have to have a lot of time and space. Major filtration when they get bigger. Yes they do still get large. Your black or speckled caimens can reach 12-14' so they call the smooth front, and other species "dwarf" still reaching sizes of 6-9'. A true dwarf wee crocodillian would be a chinese dwarf alligator. They stay very small. But almost extinct, so impossible to posses. As far as kansas. Dont think they will survive the winter or even the fall water temps. They arw from central-south america rivers.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It is going to depend on just how far you want to go in working with these animals. They can be kept indoors or outdoors for that matter, anywhere in the country. You are going to need the space, time, effort, and some will power to get it done. Keeping them outside is not difficult, you just have to compensate for cooler temperatures. This can be done - I know of a few people and Institutions that do it, you just have to have the right equipment. Same goes for keeping them Indoors, you just have to compensate for other factors. Both Trigs and Palps do not get large at all for Crocodilians. 6ft would be a large animal. Very, very few grow larger than that. They are however absolutly aggressive, nasty, and want nothing to do with you. Neither species will hesitate to try and grab, lunge, jump, and try to kill you........Cute when they are small, but absolutly irascable from the time they hatch to the time they die. Just keep that in mind, because it does become a very big production if you ever have to move them, treat them, or otherwise mess with them........

These animals are about as close as you can come to keeping a Dinosaur in the Pet trade. Owning them comes with much responsibility though. Moreso than what the general Herp crowd can offer.......It can be done, it just takes a whole lot more than a Fish tank to do it properly.......

Status
Not open for further replies.