Caging

Pittrock

@ Tom,

Here's the current setup for 6mth baby Hermann...

Please look at both water dishes. Do you recommend either - one is an "oasis" style that has fake "rock" to climb out. The other is just a basic corner dish with about 2" of water.

Dimensions of enclosure are 36" x 20" x 18" High. It's for winter. Combo heat/UVB mercury bulb - room controlled humidity 50-60%. Outdoor is giant Rubbermaid container (similar substrate and lighting) sitting on screened porch - will be getting kiddie pool or very large cement tub soon.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393035091.554308.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393035112.123336.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393035123.187404.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393035134.655381.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393035146.504622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get a clay saucer and use that. If you want to use one that you already have, the last one is the one I would not use, too small. They have too be able to get inside the dish easy and to get out easy

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
I would get a clay saucer and use that. If you want to use one that you already have, the last one is the one I would not use, too small. They have too be able to get inside the dish easy and to get out easy

Absolute agreement...you want one that the tortling can safely climb in/out of, as there's the risk of one falling onto it's back in the water with some designs. Clay/terra cotta dishes that go under potted plants are good, although I prefer the plastic ones that look like clay, myself (easier to sterilize), buried up to the rim, for easy entrance/exiting. And you want the dish to be at least 2X the length of the tortoise.

The fancier ones are fine for snakes and lizards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your bowls aren't as bad as those giant deep reptile swimming pools with the ramps, but I still have to agree that terra cotta plant base saucers will work better.

All else looks pretty good. I would like to see a plastic humid hide, and all enclosures just look and "feel" better with some live or plastic plants in them. I don't usually use any because my tortoises all try to eat them, but many people use them and get away with it. Maybe you could have one or two in a pot where he couldn't reach it so easily.