caging problems

Maisy

So ....... i have an enclosure for my horsefield tortoise but i have recently found out that it is apparently all wrong, apparently the one i have is for reptiles but not tortoises. The enclosure I have is a vivarium with two sliding glass panels a heat lamp and a long uv light. It said the one i was supposed to have was a open top cage with i hide in the corner and a heat bulb instead of a long light. Does anyone know wether this is right?

i have another question the timer has stopped working to the light comes on at 1 at night and turns off at 6 so he is not getting sufficient uv does anyone know how to reset the timer?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
:tort: A very warm welcome to the forum.

What about posting pics of the enclosure as well as your tort, so that the experts here can help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise needs a very big space. You just can't provide a big enough floor space with either of the above mentioned glass enclosures. If you absolutely have to keep him in the house and not outside, then look around at yard sales or garage sales and pick up a used 4 or 5 shelf book case. Remove the shelves, lay it on its back, line it with plastic, and decorate it to your heart's content. Even two plastic bins stuck together to make one big one, is better than any sort of glass enclosure.

Let us see the timer. Usually you pull up the little tabs for the time you want it on, and push them down for the off times.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of enclosure ideas in the enclosure section.

Maisy

This is his current cage

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429904957.648810.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You need a very different substrate, one that holds moisture. Coconut coir is a good choice.

Until you figure out the timer, unplug it & turn the light on (or plug it in) in the morning & turn it off at night. It's a nuisance, but better than the current situation.

A photo of the timer would help us.

Maisy

on some websites people have half and half. Half coconut choir and half chippings is this a good idea or not?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No chippings. None at all. If its damp, it gets moldy. A horsefield needs some moisture in the substrate, especially deep enough for burrowing into.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You definitely need uvb, as to how you supply it (with a tube or a bulb) it doesn't matter. Some uv bulbs are dangerous for your tortoise, too, so I would stick with the tube. Your heat lamp is fine - as long as you are reaching the temperatures required for this species.

Keep in mind the uvb will need to be changed about every 6 months because the amount of UV emitted will decrease with the age of the bulb. Eventually it will just emit light and no UV at all.

I agree with changing the substrate, please get rid of those wood chips. I can see in your photo you have what I think are cucumbers. Keep in mind this is not an ideal food. Just be sure to feed that as a treat occasionally, since cucumbers are basically 95% water.

I don't see a water dish in the picture, either. It's a misconception that tortoises should be in dry environments, and captive tortoises are often dehydrated as a result. For babies especially this can take its toll on their internal organs. Dehydration can also encourage kidney stones among many other things. Please be sure to supply water and soak the tortoise often in warm water. Their environment should never be bone dry.

Last edited:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Oh, sorry. I'm only familiar with the manual ones, not the electronic ones. You don't have the instructions anymore? Maybe take the model number and brand off the unit and ask Google for operating instruction for it.
If you can't get the instructions on line, just buy a cheap new manual timer. They are about $8 at the hardware store here. You don't need anything fancy. The pet store ones are overpriced.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is an incorrect myth that Vivariums are bad and open tables are good. Closed chambers make it easier to maintain the correct temperatures and condition. Open tables are much too dry.

Your enclosure is big enough for a baby, but too small for an adult.

Here is some care info to help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Maisy

thank you, i am getting on of those terracotta dishes you recommend for water and as for the coconut coir do you know where to buy it from as i am having trouble locating a website. I have managed to fix the uv light problem thank you all for helping one very happy tortoise now :)

Maisy

is this ok for water bowl

Attachments

• 31jSXlrbXFL._SX425_.jpg
    31jSXlrbXFL._SX425_.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 8

Maisy

would this be ok for bedding

Attachments

• 91HH6MKft4L-1._SL1500_.jpg
    91HH6MKft4L-1._SL1500_.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 10

Maisy

or would this stuff be better?

Attachments

• 91rtlsKhM8L._SL1500_.jpg
    91rtlsKhM8L._SL1500_.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 8

Killerrookie

Both soils are fine, just make sure to wet it some and pat it down really good in the enclosure. Now the saucer is perfect, most of the people on TFO use it to put water in for their beautiful torts.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You can buy coco coir bricks at the hardware store for a lot cheaper than they would go for at the pet store