Cage stand

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Just wanted to share the stand I built for the cage that will be coming in the next couple weeks. I’m not super knowledgeable about building things but I’m handy enough when I need to be? It’s not the prettiest but it is mega sturdy and that was my goal. View attachment 323378
Paint it pink and dare anyone’s to call it ugly! For me it’s function then fashion just watch people hobble in pain in high heels !

timus

5 Year Member
Eastern Shore of Maryland
I seriously thought hard about doing the enclosure myself but with the pvc being a bit more on the pricey end and my skills not being way great I decided against it. And I felt the price I paid for a 8x2x2 pvc chamber was fair. It was 640 including shipping.

timus

5 Year Member
I’m just going to leave it just as it is. I just added stops to prevent it from moving off of the stand along the back and on the sides. And when the chamber comes and I put it on I will also add stops on the front to prevent any movement. I love how sturdy it is. I’ve stood on top and walked around on it? The posts are all poplar and were pricey but super duper strong. The only other thing I’m not sure about yet is how I’ll do the lighting but I’m still months away from the torts coming so I have time for more in depth thought on that. I have a dedicated line I will be running the lights on. You can see it in the middle of the stand attached to the post. The other side of the room has a bunch of led grow lights so figured it couldn’t hurt to lessen the load on the breaker as the grow lights are on a breaker with the rest of the regular house stuff. Everythingin the room will be led with the exception of the uvb, and basking bulbs. Got it straightened up! And here’s what going on on the other side of the room? I have a bunch more seed coming in this week that I can’t wait to start. Chicory, dead nettle, plantain, and a few others. I also will be starting some of tortoise supplies testudo mix soon just to get an idea of how quickly it grows. I will be ready when the come???540F3119-D004-4887-B04D-36500386A601.jpeg5C452869-6DB4-4E7B-88AF-E08DC606F38F.jpegB073F74E-525E-47A3-8B7F-5DC5B2E48737.jpeg

Attachments

• 80290F82-FDB2-4CD3-B09F-5796BF13642C.jpeg
    80290F82-FDB2-4CD3-B09F-5796BF13642C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I seriously thought hard about doing the enclosure myself but with the pvc being a bit more on the pricey end and my skills not being way great I decided against it. And I felt the price I paid for a 8x2x2 pvc chamber was fair. It was 640 including shipping.
Sadly the 8 feet long? is good but the 2 wide? and 2 high? are not. Unless you place heating and lighting on top of the enclosure it's going to be hard to get them too hang inside with only 2 feet height to play with. Even less then that once you add substrate. 2 feet wide doesnt give much room to go around items needed. You mentioned torts, multiple? How many and how old/large? Torts should not be in pairs and this will be too small quickly for a group.
A wood enclosure with just a plexi glass/acrylic front would have been fairly cheap.

timus

5 Year Member
Sadly the 8 feet long? is good but the 2 wide? and 2 high? are not. Unless you place heating and lighting on top of the enclosure it's going to be hard to get them too hang inside with only 2 feet height to play with. Even less then that once you add substrate. 2 feet wide doesnt give much room to go around items needed. You mentioned torts, multiple? How many and how old/large? Torts should not be in pairs and this will be too small quickly for a group.
A wood enclosure with just a plexi glass/acrylic front would have been fairly cheap.

timus

5 Year Member
There will be 4 hatchling western hermanns going in it. I only need this enclosure to last 18-24 months and then they will be outside for majority of the year. I knew the 2 feet high was going to make things tight but with only having the fixture hanging 2 inches off of the top and the height of the fixture itself coupled with about 4 inches of orchid bark, the bulb to the level of tortoise shell will be around 17 inches. I have a solar meter and at 17 inches I’m still in the safe zone for uvb exposure and I will only run it part of the day. Surly I would have rather had 3 feet front to back but felt the 2 feet coupled with the 8 foot wide would suffice for what isn’t going to be a permanent home them. I also was careful with my selection of hides and pots I’ll be using for plants. Guess at this point I’ll just have to see how it goes?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There will be 4 hatchling western hermanns going in it. I only need this enclosure to last 18-24 months and then they will be outside for majority of the year. I knew the 2 feet high was going to make things tight but with only having the fixture hanging 2 inches off of the top and the height of the fixture itself coupled with about 4 inches of orchid bark, the bulb to the level of tortoise shell will be around 17 inches. I have a solar meter and at 17 inches I’m still in the safe zone for uvb exposure and I will only run it part of the day. Surly I would have rather had 3 feet front to back but felt the 2 feet coupled with the 8 foot wide would suffice for what isn’t going to be a permanent home them. I also was careful with my selection of hides and pots I’ll be using for plants. Guess at this point I’ll just have to see how it goes?
I hope it works out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My closed chambers for starting babies are only 18 inches tall inside and it works fine. I think 24 inches is ideal. 8x2 feet should be great for four hatchlings.