Cage change. Ramp suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Originally, I kept my 4.25 inch Redfoot in a Zoo Med Tortoise House. He was always very active in it. Walking around, basking, exploring. Then, I moved him in to this ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369071473.170550.jpg so he would have more space. It gave him more room, but it was skinny and long, and he quit exploring, only coming out to eat. Over the weekend I ended up remodeling the zoo med (out of boredom and the possibility of getting a hatchling). I decided to do a test, and put him back in it to see how he acts. He is back to being curious and exploring, basking and much more active. I want to build a ramp to connect the two enclosures and double his space. That's a project for next weekend tho. I'll need to build a ramp and cut holes in the bottom/ top of the enclosure. Put a new hole for the lights for the bottom since the zoo med is sitting on the old light cut outs. I'll keep updated with pics. Here's the zoo med so far. The foil will be replaced with plexi next week. Also, I would like to note that he gets outside daily for 5 hours minimum in his outdoor enclosure.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369072122.248768.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369072132.691198.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369072148.601130.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369072168.465293.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369072190.070306.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369072211.280476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I love your larger vivarium. What kind is it? Did it house another animal at some point? Could the smell be there that is scaring the tort?

I love the idea of the 2 story enclosure with a ramp.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Originally he was in the zoo med, thn he was in the larger one for 6 weeks. It really isn't much larger, its narrow, and the zoo med is hanging off the back. The bottom one was just a tv entertainment center.

I am gunna chalk up the designs later for the ramp. I justice it's not all for nothing and he won't use it!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
The zoo med looks fantastic! Well done.

My 2 cents would be to not alter the large viv by combining them.
I would keep them as 2 separate enclosures and get that second tort ;)
Since you notice he isn't as active in the larger one, I'd try rearranging things before modifying it.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.