Cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Tinkerbells new indoor enclosure should arrive tomorrow and I have been preparing stuff ready for when it comes. He has forest floor bedding ready for part of it and for the other part I'm just off to buy some unfertilised soil as he loves digging. I want to get a little plant as decoration/ nibbles, have been thinking about getting a cactus. Are these edible for Russians? And are there any particular kind that are best to get. I don't want a spiky one as worried he would hurt himself.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes cactus is a good one to get. The opuntia kind. There is a spineless kind. It does have little hair like pokies, but not the big thorns.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Great thanks, will look out for a few when I go get the soil :) I'm so excited for his new enclosure to come been waiting all week so fingers crossed its tomorrow :) lots of pics will follow!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Look out for a spider plant too. Keep it in a pot on the window sill and then use its babies in the enclosure. They'll get eaten, but you'll have a constant flow of replacements :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tinkerbell1189 said:
Tinkerbells new indoor enclosure should arrive tomorrow and I have been preparing stuff ready for when it comes. He has forest floor bedding ready for part of it and for the other part I'm just off to buy some unfertilised soil as he loves digging. I want to get a little plant as decoration/ nibbles, have been thinking about getting a cactus. Are these edible for Russians? And are there any particular kind that are best to get. I don't want a spiky one as worried he would hurt himself.

Russians LOVE cactus, and the spines won't hurt a tortoise...they've been eating such things for millenia!

cact.jpg

Their tongues are VERY tough!

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Great! Looks like tinkerbell will soon be sampling his first cactus then! Haven't got round to getting any yet, the garden centre I went To yesterday didn't have any!?!?!? Am so gutted as well his new tort table came today, but I missed it by about half an hour as I was in work :( arghhh been so excited for it to come as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.