Cactus/succulent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I have these growing in my yard. I don't know what type they are, but there are no spines whatsoever on them and my leopards love them. Can someone please let me know what they are and if it's ok to feed as an everyday thing?

Sara

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Yvonne,

This is okay for them to eat then?

Also, I transplanted a small aleo vera plant in the pen the other day and before nighttime, he had eaten the entire plant to the ground. Are tortoises the kind of animal that will eat until full, or will it continue to eat until it makes itself sick?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Almost all succulents are ok for them to eat. The only ones they shouldn't be allowed to eat are in the Euphorbia family. Euphorbias have a milky sap that is toxic and will make your skin burn. However, the common weed - spurge - is in the Euphorbia family and my desert tortoises love that.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Kalanchoes are of African origin (the equivalent of New World cactus) and I'm sure your leopards would enjoy them.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Can they have them on a regular basis then as part of their main diet, or more as a treat. Also, do these plants stay alive through the winter?

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.