Cactus pads

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi okay so for cactus pads is there a best brand and how often do I give them and how much like a meal or a snack or what (for Russian tortoises 4 months and future)
Thank you

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle
I usually buy it from some Asian grocery store. I don’t know what brand it is. Usually 1 dollar per pound in a Chinese supermarket or 1.5 dollar per pound in the H-mart which is the Korean chain supermarket in the USA. My tortoise like it very much

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi okay so for cactus pads is there a best brand and how often do I give them and how much like a meal or a snack or what (for Russian tortoises 4 months and future)
Thank you

There isn't any specific brands that I know of. There are several ways to obtain cactus pads if you do not live in a place like Arizona.

1. Hispanic supermarkets.
2. Asian supermarkets.
3. Farmer's markets. (Usually the cheapest source)
4. Tortoise online retailers. (Most expensive)

It is relatively safe enough to feed everyday if you don't mind cleaning up excessive poop. A small pad or a section is usually more than enough. Do not only feed cactus pads.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Petco sells this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/reptile-cactus-2732328?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PM_GGL_FY20_SBU05_SH13_SmallAnimalBird&ReptileSupplies_ReptileAccessories_PLA-SMRT-_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-yL2b276wIVEfDACh1HDQp4EAQYASABEgK-9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What you want is nopal or nopalitos. It's the edible opuntia. You can give him a bit every day, but for a russian you may need to either peel it or cut off the hard skin. I don't know if a little Russian can bite through it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Petco sells this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/reptile-cactus-2732328?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PM_GGL_FY20_SBU05_SH13_SmallAnimalBird&ReptileSupplies_ReptileAccessories_PLA-SMRT-_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-yL2b276wIVEfDACh1HDQp4EAQYASABEgK-9_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What you want is nopal or nopalitos. It's the edible opuntia. You can give him a bit every day, but for a russian you may need to either peel it or cut off the hard skin. I don't know if a little Russian can bite through it.
Russians can bite through tender younger pads with no issues. My hatchlings of all species are able to eat them.

I didn't know they sold this at Petco. I wonder how they keep it fresh? Thanks for this info.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Russians can bite through tender younger pads with no issues. My hatchlings of all species are able to eat them.

I didn't know they sold this at Petco. I wonder how they keep it fresh? Thanks for this info.
I haven't ever seen it in store locally. If they did carry it, I wonder if they'd keep it in the same refrigerated case with the earthworms and black soldier fly larvae.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I was going to suggest you grow them, but I don't think that will work out well...?

I got mine from Home Depot and propagated them from 2 plants. Be sure to feed the newest pads/shoots, from what I understand the older pads have the most oxalates

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Thank you
Thank you

I got mine from Home Depot and propagated them from 2 plants. Be sure to feed the newest pads/shoots, from what I understand the older pads have the most oxalates.

Sorry @KarenSoCal , posted on your answer.