Cactus pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I just received my order of cactus pad and I was wondering what is the best way to prepare it. I guess my biggest concern is the little thorns that are still on it. Do I peel it first or just rinse and give it to them? I can only imagine that it would be painful to bite into one of those things. Also, I'm keeping them in a plastic bag with the rest of their greens in the crisper in the fridge. Is that ok?

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Cherbear said:
I just received my order of cactus pad and I was wondering what is the best way to prepare it. I guess my biggest concern is the little thorns that are still on it. Do I peel it first or just rinse and give it to them? I can only imagine that it would be painful to bite into one of those things. Also, I'm keeping them in a plastic bag with the rest of their greens in the crisper in the fridge. Is that ok?

I cut the thorns off with a knife and then i rinse it under the faucet and make sure i got them all, then i cut the pad to little pieces cause my tortoise is still a hatchling.

As for keeping them in a plastic bag and in the fridge, i do not know cause i have the actual plant in the backyard.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I just keep them in the fridge and they seem to be fine. If you do keep it in a container... make sure to poke holes in it so it can breath. I didn't the first time and it all grew mold... yuck.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
if they are small spines, you can torch them lightly with a blow torch. this will not affect the quality of the pad when you feed (I torch as I feed). Also, I cut pads and just keep them on the ground by the plant I harvested them from. Don't keep mine in the fridge at all.

small new pads lack internal fiber structure - older pads have fibrous tissues RV sometimes has trouble (minor) with. I just cut across older pads, severing the internal structure.

teri

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Cherbear, we feed large amounts of cactus. We do scrape the thorns of for young tortoises. I think it is one of the best foods for tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use heavy rubber gloves from the hardware store and just give the pads a good rub down under running water. All the little irritating glochids either wash away or stick in the gloves. Like Teri said above, fire works really well too. The little spines singe really easily. Desert tortoises in the wild just walk right up to the regular spiny opuntia cactus and just start munching away. I don't understand how they do that.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
My understanding is the litle thorns have no effect on the tortoise that eats them. I am just on the safe side and scrape them off.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Do you know if the Nopalea would grow in Oregon? I like the idea of no spines and would like to get some starts and grow my own.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
It may be too wet where you are. Maybe you can try it in a window that get lots and lots of sun! I am trying to grow one right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.