Cactus Identification

hermantort

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Maybe someone who knows more about plants can help me with this. I bought these cacti for my mom a good few years ago from a Lowe's greenhouse when they were just teeny tiny. I want to give my Hermann's more variety in his diet, and I was wondering if he would be able to eat these? I honestly cannot remember what kind they were when I got them, I just thought they were cute :)

IMG_6863.jpg IMG_6864.jpg

Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nagh. Don’t feed that type of cactus. You want to go to an international market that sells mexican n asi@n foods & look for spineless cactus.

I get a few pads from our local market weekly.

Growing a few now too.....you should grow urs as specimens not food!
5FC6BDBE-5434-4E17-AB10-B8776E3B0F91.jpeg

hermantort

Ohio
Nagh. Don’t feed that type of cactus. You want to go to an international market that sells mexican n asi@n foods & look for spineless cactus.

I get a few pads from our local market weekly.

Growing a few now too.....you should grow urs as specimens not food!
View attachment 299164
Thank you for responding. I just figured I'd see if it was something he may potentially be able to eat as a treat or snack. Do you have any idea what they may be?

hermantort

Ohio
@Yvonne G might know. Or @KarenSoCal There are so many types. You want to feed types with little to no spines.
I've seen people feed prickly pear pads to their torts but they usually burn the spines off or pull them out. I would never feed him any that is full of spikes :) Thanks for your help!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@Yvonne G might know. Or @KarenSoCal There are so many types. You want to feed types with little to no spines.
I'm not sure about the first pic, but the 2nd is a Great Barrel Cactus. I've not heard of anyone feeding them to torts, but I suspect it would be safe once the spines were dealt with.

Lots easier to grow/buy spineless opuntia. Don't forget..."spineless" means mostly long spineless. There are still glocchids, seen on the pads that Mark posted. They have very tiny, hairlike spines that can be miserable getting out of your skin. But torts eat them with no problem.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Peanut cactus (echinopsis chamaecerues)

Mammalaria

hermantort

Ohio
I'm not sure about the first pic, but the 2nd is a Great Barrel Cactus. I've not heard of anyone feeding them to torts, but I suspect it would be safe once the spines were dealt with.

Lots easier to grow/buy spineless opuntia. Don't forget..."spineless" means mostly long spineless. There are still glocchids, seen on the pads that Mark posted. They have very tiny, hairlike spines that can be miserable getting out of your skin. But torts eat them with no problem.
Thank you so much for helping me :)

hermantort

Ohio
Peanut cactus (echinopsis chamaecerues)

Mammalaria
That's what I was thinking the first one was from looking online but I'm not confident in my cactus identifying abilities haha thank you!!