Cactus growing

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ficus-indica doesn't seem like the best species to grow in a pot because it would normally become a very big plant. I would expect even a smallish variety of ficus-indica would quickly become top heavy in a pot. Here's a picture to show the size of one pad of ficus-indica in my backyard.

There are a lot of smaller species such as the other one you are growing that would be easier to grow in pots. Careful, because growing cactus can quickly turn into a whole other hobby, LOL. Good luck.

M.

View attachment 299355

Wow....thats a pad!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have kept cacti for 61 years. If not cold hardy they need to be kept above about 40 F indoors or in a nice warm greenhouse. The few I still have I bring in the house in the wet cold months and most are kept in the coolest part of the house and none are watered. If kept watered they will grow and out of the warm outdoor sun they will grow thin, leggy and unattractively:cool:.
I brought cacti with me when I moved here from California 15 years ago. All are in pots and most are kept in the tort shed all winter. I water about twice a month, as I have gone all winter without watering and lost some favorite plants as their roots stop functioning, and die
100_4529.JPG100_4526.JPG

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
I have a couple mature opuntia in my cactus garden. This is a 5' tall fence and you can see about a foot over the top of the fence. I have to cut them back severely because the root system can't support the top heavy plants when the ground is saturated in rainy season:

View attachment 299361View attachment 299362View attachment 299363
What are the species of opuntia? Just curious I've developed a prickly pear addiction. Lol only plants I can't kill.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
What are the species of opuntia? Just curious I've developed a prickly pear addiction. Lol only plants I can't kill.
Also sorry if not allowed I didnt want to start a while new thread for this, unless I should? Is all Opuntia tortoise edible? Just curious I have plenty of spineless (still have glochids that I scrub off b4 feeding) Ficus Indica I believe, but also have Robusta, a native Fl species I haven't identified yet, another skinny flat one not identified and a Macrocenta on the way that I'm super excited about. Anyways, just a thought of maybe some different variety for my tort. I would de-spine of course. TIA! Again I apologize if not allowed and if anyone's interested in any trading to grow your gardens I would love to!

Skip K

Virginia
I’m going to let them grow until they get established well before picking pads. I have time though. My Leopards and Redfoots have been raised basically without cactus...and my baby Sulcatas, with their little tort mouths, haven’t been able to eat the cut up cactus pads easily yet and give up on them. So about the time I hopefully have some established cacti....the babies will be larger and I’ll have a replenishing supply to feed all my torts

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Also sorry if not allowed I didnt want to start a while new thread for this, unless I should? Is all Opuntia tortoise edible? Just curious I have plenty of spineless (still have glochids that I scrub off b4 feeding) Ficus Indica I believe, but also have Robusta, a native Fl species I haven't identified yet, another skinny flat one not identified and a Macrocenta on the way that I'm super excited about. Anyways, just a thought of maybe some different variety for my tort. I would de-spine of course. TIA! Again I apologize if not allowed and if anyone's interested in any trading to grow your gardens I would love to!
Just wondering do your Robusta blooms change from yellow to orange as the day goes on.