Cactus for Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
Not sure if this should be in the Food and Diet section, but my question is species specific.
My wife and I recently purchased some cactus pads for our Little Bo. She seems to absolutely love it. We've been giving her some every 2 or 3 days or so. We use spring mix as a staple, and add to it whatever other greens look good at the store, but I'm wondering if cactus can be a staple as well. I understand it's high in fiber and calcium, and it's darned inexpensive. Does anyone else feed cactus to their Russians?

jgoulet

5 Year Member
Augusta, GA
I was wondering the same thing. My russian loves the cactus pads. I hope that it is okay.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I feed cactus to my Russians (and other Testudo) as often as I have pads available (grow my own), which is about once a month. Cactus pads are high in calcium, low in phosphorous with as much as 12% protein. I'm not sure that I would make it part of their staple diet as in every feeding, but once or twice a week instead. Mine absolutely devour cactus.

Jeannette

5 Year Member
Oregon
Both of my Russians love Opuntia (spineless) cactus pads!! I find the pads at a local grocery store, although some still have spines on them. I take a sharp knife and 'scale' them off of the pad, all at once. The pad is very slimy, if you chop it up. My guys will search it out, amongst their other food items...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I feed cactus to my Russian regularly, but wouldn't consider it a staple food...I think its great as more of a treat as its sweet, same as I'd consider flowers, squash, pumpkin, and commercial foods like Grassland and Mazuri. Some people would argue cactus can be fed as much as the greens, but I definitely think of it more as a treat food. I cut out the spines and chop it up, but only because my tort likes to bite off more than he can chew lol. Some people like to burn off the spines. When I buy a pad I'll feed a very small amount daily until its gone, then not buy for a month or whatever.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I use cactus as a "treat" when I find it at my farmer's market. I buy about 3 pads at a time, they last a few weeks, then I go a couple months before feeding them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.