Ca to Cholecalciferol Ratio

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Does anyone know the ratio of Ca to Cholecaliferol in Reptile supplements? Is there a specific IU per gram that should be used? (I’m trying to construct my own supplements for my tortoises).

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

tortoiseplanet

Earth

i'm not aware of any ratio for calcium to d3 , I believe calcium to phosphorus is somewhat critical …….. there are quite a few sources with estimated safe doses , and toxic dosages , for d3 supplementation

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/vitamin-d-supplements-dosage-information.21330/

Im aware that all supplements have to be 100% phosphorus free. My question is how much cholecalciferol powder do I have to mix in with a pound of Ca powder for example to make an effective yet safe supplement? I’m going to get 50-100lbs of Ca powder because it’s cheap in bulk. I might sell some of the finished product locally for reptile keepers.
Here’s some D3 powder I found on eBay:
IMG_1532060762.814244.jpg

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
@Will in that study you posted recently about calcium absorbtion that I hijacked, it stated that the receptors for the proteins that absorb D3 through the skin are weak and require long exposure and is incapable of high absorbtion in a short period of time. Perhaps the digestive system relies on a similar method, or similar proteins in the digestive system in order to absorb the D3. Or, perhaps it depends on the vehicle the D3 is released through.

In what I have learned from poultry nutritionists, the calcium compounds in limestone are easy to break down, and uptake the the calcium rapidly, whereas the compound in oyster shell breaks down slowly, provinding calcium to the body over a longer period of time.

I think there may be some beneficial data to assist us in this query that we are lacking. How fast does D3 get absorbed by the intestines? Is there a maximum that can be absorbed, with the rest being excreted? Does D3 need to maintain a minimum threshold in the blood in order to maintain its function? If so, how often does it need to be supplemented if given artificially?

I am an imposter, my experience in biology is minimal. But as an arm chair expert I hope maybe this analysis helps and offers so new leads....

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
I am really happy so many of you are so educated and experienced. It is frustrating to not know as much as I would like. Rome wasn't built in a day so I know through critical thinking and solid work ethic I will make it there eventually...