Buying a Russian tortoise online

Hantong

Location (City and/or State)
Rockville, MD
I have been trying to get a baby Russian tortoise for months. but all websites are out of stock! I don’t want to get a wild caught one.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just keep your eyes peeled as there should be some hatchings soon. Don't be tempted at the pet stores since they are mostly wild caught. Compared to other torts Russian are not breed as much.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I have been trying to get a baby Russian tortoise for months. but all websites are out of stock! I don’t want to get a wild caught one.
Last year breeders everywhere were bought out of all their babies and juveniles (across all species). People staying at home wanted a new project for their families.

Stock levels are extremely low this year. That being said, eggs hatch in the spring. The best breeders hold them for some time to make sure they are healthy and well started.

These animals have had an excellent start:

This is the TFO care sheet - review the habitat info carefully so you can be completely prepared:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Temperate species of tortoises, like Russians, are seasonal breeders. They will only be avaialbe at certain times of the year. Keep looking for a breeder. Don't buy from the big websites that come up on google searches. Some of those are disreputable and its impossible to tell which ones are good or bad until its too late.

@Carol S and @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com are both good sources.

Scroll through our Russian tortoise section to see who else has been hatching them over the last year or two.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Congrats! Plenty of time to get your habitat set up.

Let the community know how to help. =))

Hantong

Rockville, MD
this website is totally a scam! I paid $250 for one tortoise! Then, their carrier sent me an email asking for $280 for insurance!
they even don’t have a phone number and address for their company! I was so stupid to fall into that scam!