Burrowing

TheTOAD

I've changed my aquarium around for my tort by cutting the wire on top so I can set the heat lamp closer. Temps are high 90s now (95-100) and I put cardboard on the top to trap humidity so that's good. But my sulcata started burrowing which she never did before. Is it too hot for her or is this normal? She burrowed right under the heat lamp basking spot. Here's a pic

Here they are

Attachments

• 1392831680608.jpg
    1392831680608.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1392831797463.jpg
    1392831797463.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 87

BenAnsell

Burrowing is pretty normal they burrow to cool down mine also burrows when it wants to go to sleep, this is completely natural behaviour :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, did you try to raise the light again and she what happens? This tort may simply be creating a warm humid spot for itself...as I can see here that if the tort did not want to be in the heat it has space to retreat.....maybe experiment a little and see what appears to please the tort....

TheTOAD

I put her at the other end of the cage and covered up the burrow twice and she just tromps back over and redigs the burrow in the same spot

mzprfct7400

5 Year Member
Well if she keeps going back she clearly likes the light being closer. Sounds like she is just getting comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your light is pretty close to the middle of the tank. What is the temp on the other side, over to the right? Are you measuring the temperature with that stick on dial thermometer way over on the side of the tank? You need to put a remote probe directly under the bulb. Those stick on thermometers are not accurate or reliable. There ought to be a thermal gradient where its hotter directly under the bulb but cools to a lower ambient as you move farther away from the bulb. In such a small enclosure with the lamp over the middle, you are basically heating the whole enclosure up. A remote probed thermometer would give you the whole story.

You also need a new water bowl. Both of those bowls are too deep and too steep.

Next you need a humid hide and a much larger enclosure.

Here is a care sheet and a diet sheet. Hope they help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html