Burrow drowning ?? and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
ok, so someone doubted any tort had ever drowned in thier burrow. Mine did NOT, but we had a freak rain storm last night. It poured.. A few days ago I had noticed one of my sulcatas had been digging. He wasnt using it at night and never saw him in it but we dont have badgers here and its too big for a gopher~! Today I went out and found the hole filled water. It went back a ways and was 10 inches deep at least. I took a few pics. The other pics are of the culprit due to dirt all over him. Next to a reg size garden shovel and against the back wall so you can see his size and what we used to build thier enclosure with. Also a few shots of the 'stakes' we used. We started with metal, but hubby has since changed most to 2x4.
They have a hut, not sure what started the digging.. maybe they are starting not to get along.. the other one has dirt on him too. but this one is caked. I filled in the hole and collapsed the burrow. it went back a ways.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BcOXLFq5YsXEA[hr]
UGH!!! Please hold.. the pics didnt all down load... argggghhhhh

your browser:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BcOXLFq5YsXIw

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Several years ago a friend of mine had three Russian tortoises. She lost them in their pen before winter because of the ingenious way they bury themselves. So winter progressed...it rained... All three tortoises drowned.

So, yes, it can happen. The difference btwn Laura's story and mine is the size of the tortoise and the configuration of the burrow. A sulcata actually digs a burrow. That is, a tunnel that is open. A Russian digs down, pushing the dirt behind him, filling in the tunnel so that it is all dirt and very hard to see where they've been digging.

Laura: We got a little rain overnight, but nothing like what you got. Plus its still warm this a.m. It was refreshing to get up this a.m. and smell the clean air!

Yvonne

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
some friends of mine have a DT and it burrows under their house (house on a slab)
the tort made a dip in the entrance to trap water from going in.

they say whenever big storms are coming they find the tort outside of it's burrow, even in the winter months.

smart buggers.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
At my old place my DT's once made a burrow more than ten feet long and I could not really say how deep it was. One bad rain it collapsed in on itself and I had to go out there and dig them out. My russians tend to dig straight down and cover themselves up kinda like a land mine so whenever it rains I always go out and check on them just to be safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should clarify about the Russians drowning. She had made their pen boxed in by railroad ties, and it was right next to an aviary with a slanted roof. The rain drained off the roof, flooding the boxed in pen. By the time she was able to find the tortoises, they were already dead.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
We are very cloudy here today.. clean air.. so nice.. breezey.. time to get out and do some stuff!!
because one was so muddy.. im wondering if he Was in there.. but i have not seen them in it.. will have to sneak up on them more often....
If they dig again this summer when its warmer.. they may use it... pro/con about that...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Looks like someone had fun digging in the dirt. The pros are it is a natural instinct for them they will use the burrows for shelter and to regulate their temps in the heat.
Cons-the burrows can be quite deep 10-20 feet and can collaps thus traping the tort or burrowing out of the yard. And as you already know they can fill with rain or if you have a sprinkler system and it is faulty - well.

Status
Not open for further replies.