Burrow burrow burrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
So, I'm new to the tortoise family. I have a Russian named Grigor who I've had for a little while now. I am well aware that his species loves to burrow. I found this extrordianarilly amusing at the begginning of our little adventure. Well today I was outside gardening with my grandmother. Winter is coming soon and I take him outside any day that the temperature is decent. I noticed he was burrowing into the grass so I began to pull some up and pile it on top of him. He didn't mind. I removed him from under the pile of grass and as quick as he could he burrowed himself right back under there. imagine my excitement. So I picked some more grass, put it in a dish and Grigor's happy as can be. Now, I use a mix for substrate (some of that eco-brick and sand.) I keep telling myself to add another brick to the substrate to allow Grigor some more b-b-b-burrow room (all those familiar with the J. Giels Band, that was a quick reference). But, now I am aware of his likeness of the grass. Maybe because of the humidity? I read on someones post about hay, anyone have any suggestions? Like I said, I'm new to this. So Grigor's indoor habitat is pretty basic. 50 gallon rubbermaide tub with a water dish, a food dish, his calcium bone (which I don't think he uses-again, any suggestions?) Also, a rectangle stone and his wooden hide. How can I make it more enjoyable for him, or more amusing for him? Any advice, guidance, or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!!

Bump.

I've got 18 views and no response.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
He burrowed back under the pile of grass mainly due to instinct and the need for security, not so much that he "enjoys" grass. Generally speaking Russian tortoises rarely, if ever consume grass. Some will very occasionally consume some hay. A basic indoor enclosure for a Russian tortoise is often the best choice simply because they do rut and burrow often. Some very active ones will constantly re-arrange the substrate, moving and upsetting anything in the way.

Russians also very rarely consume calcium in raw form. They get some naturally in their food intake. Very few males of Testudo species consume any calcium at all. They may as developing young and females, especially during egg bearing periods. But it is always a good idea to have a calcium source available to them at all times should they feel the need to consume some. I break it up in smaller pieces rather than putting a full piece in.

Tortoises don't really need to be "amused". They need a correct environment and the ability to establish a routine. They aren't going to get bored in the sense that a person does. They need a correct temperature, humidity & light range, correct diet, access to fresh water & security.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Since you have a Rubbermaid tote you could add another brick of coir (hydrated, of course!) , mounded to one end (the cooler side). Hay is a bit of a problem, because it can get moldy when wet. Whereas the coir is great: holds moisture well (you can let the top 1/2 inch or so dry out as long as it is moist underneath.
If you search through the enclosure section, you can see other indoor enclosures, including those using Rubbermaid totes.
If you do decide you want to expand, you can look into getting another tote and attaching them together. You can pm me if you want more info on this.
It is also nice that you get him outside, even for an hour a day, as long as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.