Burmese star vs Indian star

kobe629

5 Year Member
Does anyone know which star is more hardy and better personality? I am hearing that Burmese is much hardier to temperature change and is a more active tortoise also they will interact with you more I'm just wondering if that is true?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
I have had both as well. Burmese are much more personable. Care is identical. I have 3.3 and all doing very well. Indoors now since too cold to be outside.
They eat everything, PIGS!
Romaine, Cactus, Mushrooms, Dandelion, Mazuri, Marion Zoologic, Collards. My biggest female is 4500gr. Waiting on eggs to hatch if they are fertile.

SteveW

Any thoughts on where the Sri Lankan Stars fit in this comparison?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any thoughts on where the Sri Lankan Stars fit in this comparison?

I have no personal experience. I have heard they are in between the Indian stars and Burmese stars in both size and personality.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sri lankens can get quite big compared to indian. 11+ inches for females and 7-8 inches for males. While Indians are much smaller especially when you see both species side by side, it can be quite noticeable.

The only difference as far as care goes that I've noticed is that Sri lanken can handle humidity better than Indians.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
I have had only burmese stars, and I can say that, if acquired from healthy stock, they are excellent tortoises to work with. Mine are growing bolder by the day and have always fed well.

I know there's at least one more forum member who breeds both burmese and indians who might chime in...

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have bred both in S Florida. Housed outside. Both tolerate Humidity well, and both seemed to handle the cooler temperatures well.
the Burmese are by far more personable and active, hence the reason I no longer breed Indians..

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
I also produce both Burmese stars and Indian Stars. Both are kept at same temps and a very high air humidity. The only difference is that the Indians I keep their substrate very day and with Burmese their substrate is not as dry and even sometimes damp. It really is that Burmese can handle lower temps and if their substrate is a little wet they will be fine just as long as they can warm up the next day. Indians do not like to be in damp substrate as all. They can not handle low temps and damp substrate like the Burmese can. Dan , glad to hear the Burmese are doing great!!!

Paulcain

I have bred both in S Florida. Housed outside. Both tolerate Humidity well, and both seemed to handle the cooler temperatures well.
the Burmese are by far more personable and active, hence the reason I no longer breed Indians..
Good morning, so I am transitioning our of Egyptian uromastyx breeding and am interested in 4 or 5 Burmese stars. Do you have any available for purchase?

Paulcain

Good morning, so I am transitioning our of Egyptian uromastyx breeding and am interested in 4 or 5 Burmese stars. Do you have any available for purchase?

Paulcain

I also produce both Burmese stars and Indian Stars. Both are kept at same temps and a very high air humidity. The only difference is that the Indians I keep their substrate very day and with Burmese their substrate is not as dry and even sometimes damp. It really is that Burmese can handle lower temps and if their substrate is a little wet they will be fine just as long as they can warm up the next day. Indians do not like to be in damp substrate as all. They can not handle low temps and damp substrate like the Burmese can. Dan , glad to hear the Burmese are doing great!!!

Paulcain

Ora H

North Bend
I have had both as well. Burmese are much more personable. Care is identical. I have 3.3 and all doing very well. Indoors now since too cold to be outside.
They eat everything, PIGS!
Romaine, Cactus, Mushrooms, Dandelion, Mazuri, Marion Zoologic, Collards. My biggest female is 4500gr. Waiting on eggs to hatch if they are fertile.
Where are you located?