Burmese Star Hatching

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I love this time of year as the winter clutches of Burmese Stars have finished their diapause and incubation and are all hatching. 4 different bloodlines. These are the newest batch in just the past 3 days...

6-1 group (3).jpg

And here they are back in their brooder box to get that perfect start...

6-1 group (1).jpg

And the brooder box goes back in the incubator I use for brooders as it has a light to start getting them used to a photoperiod...

6-1 group (2).jpg

They will join the others in about 7-10 days when their yolk sac is completely healed and they have at least done their first poop!

In that 7-10 days they will be eating a wide variety of foods as you can see in the brooder box, and have gained an average of 15% more weight. Their yolk sac and sometimes misshapen shell from hatching will go from this...

104 (4).jpg

To this when ready to join the hatchlings from earlier clutches in their first enclosure...

104 (3).jpg

This type of start allows them to thrive and look like this - who is now 130g and about 7 months...

IMG_1396.jpg

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
And the brooder box goes back in the incubator I use for brooders as it has a light to start getting them used to a photoperiod...
Are their eyes closed in the egg until they pip? Surely they could see light through the eggshell. Or are they in the dark while still in the incubator?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are their eyes closed in the egg until they pip? Surely they could see light through the eggshell. Or are they in the dark while still in the incubator?
I keep my egg clutches in the dark through most of diapause and incubation. I keep my incubators in a dedicated closet in the middle of the house - in my office - with the doors shut. It is a more stable ambient temperature there. However, I have incubated may eggs - turtle and tortoise - in incubators with glass doors in an open room with light going in. I don't think it matters about light. I have no idea if they open their eyes prior to pip. Probably. But even without open eyes they could still perceive light. I do have a feeling that the light does have some affect, though. The constant checking for pips, and light - I believe may stimulate them to pip just a bit earlier and as a result tend to come out of the egg with a bit larger yolk sac. It seems those left without Brenda constantly checking for pips - so in the dark - we tend to find with much smaller yolk sacs when we see they hatched.