Bumps at Injection Site

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Hey guys....long time no see!

Long story short, Dante's been sick for several months (RI and then mysterious secondary infection) and is finally on the mend. He had daily injections for quite some time that finished 3-4 weeks ago. I've left his poor, tortured legs alone since then, so I'm not sure how long the bumps have been there...Has anyone seen bumps like this at an injection site? I'm just a little worried that they could rupture and/or turn into an abscess and become a major headache....or maybe they'll just re-absorb (fingers crossed!). So, if you've seen something like this before, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

The angle of the photo doesn't show the bumps very well, but I was short on helping hands to pin him down! In the picture, you can see one bigger bump pushing up the yellow skin and two smaller ones under the skin above the big bump.

20151218_182435.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
@Yvonne G may have had some experience with this. Hope he is making a full recovery and the bumps are nothing to worry about.
Thanks! His recovery is slow, but he was sick for a long time so I'm trying to be p-a-t-i-e-n-t! I'm really hoping these bumps are no big deal!!
@Yvonne G may have had some experience with this. Hope he is making a full recovery and the bumps are nothing to worry about.

Thanks! I hope they're nothing to worry about...his recovery is slow (nothing teaches you the lesson of patience like a sick tortoise!), so I'd really hate for the little dude to have a set back! :-(

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What was he being treated with? I know Baytril can cause injection site reactions, I'm not sure about other drugs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As I'm pulling out the needle, I press my finger on the flesh at the injection site and massage the fluid into the flesh. I've never had the bump problem. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Let's see if @deadheadvet can offer a bit of insight.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
What was he being treated with? I know Baytril can cause injection site reactions, I'm not sure about other drugs.

There were two different antibiotics, one after the other. I'm fairly certain that neither was baytril, but I cannot recall the names :-/

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
As I'm pulling out the needle, I press my finger on the flesh at the injection site and massage the fluid into the flesh. I've never had the bump problem. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Let's see if @deadheadvet can offer a bit of insight.

Thanks, Yvonne! Now that I think back to all the shots we gave him, we started to have a lot of trouble with the medicine coming right back out (even with holding the needle in place and putting a finger on it), so I'm wondering if this could be scar tissue? I have no experience with such a thing in tortoises though...

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Can not see what the poster is questioning. It is a very dark image with poor detail. Maybe some better pics might shed light on the issue.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Can not see what the poster is questioning. It is a very dark image with poor detail. Maybe some better pics might shed light on the issue.

Yes, sorry for the bad quality. I've circled the bumps in question below... The angle does not show the bumps well, but there are hard bumps near where we were injecting antibiotics. I've never seen anything like this, but I'm wondering if maybe it's scar tissue?

I just found the label for the most recent antibiotic used - Ceftiofur (which was given 1x day and we finished about 3-4 weeks ago). Before that, he was treated with Amikacin for his RI.

20151219_165908.png

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Could be reaction to the injections. Or sterile abscess.
Soaking regularly may help. Would not put anything topical on it unless it opens up.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Could be reaction to the injections. Or sterile abscess.
Soaking regularly may help. Would not put anything topical on it unless it opens up.

OK, thank you!! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what these bumps do.