Bullying

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I received 3 Russian tortoises while I was incommunicado, 2 males and a female. The first male looks to be very old with an upper beak that has been too overgrown for a very long time. Other than that he looks ok. Russians are not one of my favorite species, and these 3 have exhibited all the qualities I dislike...but on with my little story...I named him King Kong as he is very aggressive and struts around the pen like he thinks he's king...kong...lol
100_0587.JPG
I was told that the female and the other male were the same size and age when they were put in a pen together...this is them...
100_0591.JPG
100_0595.JPG
for you newcomers...this is a classic example of bullying. The female is the bigger tort. She gets all the food. In my tort tables I feed on a frisbee, and as soon as she thinks I am gone, she bites at his face and CLIMBS HER BIGAS*ED self into the middle of the frisbee thereby covering most of the food with her body. She eats like it's the last, and she stuffs herself so fast I have seen her vomit balled up food twice. She herds him into corners like Lassie, then climbs up on him to sleep, totally on top of him. In the outside pen she herds him to the spots of more dirt than graze, I have actually seen her push him into a corner while she grazed the fresh seeds sprouts... He is so freakin small the first thing he did was escape the outside pen and was scurrying across the yard headed for the chain link gate...designed to hold Sulcata...but this guy scooted under that gate like 007 and if I hadn't of
watched all this, he'd be gone... adios! lol
Fortunately for them and me I will only have them for a few months. But I will do my best to improve their health and ATTITUDES while they are here. I think I have named her Queenzilla
100_0593.JPG
He is a perfectly formed Russian tortoise only miniature. He is very small, but old enuf to have that overgrown beak as well. So here are 3 Russian tortoises...all with over grown beaks... and not really been kept well...this is what their complete diet has been...
100_0606.JPG
I have made some changes in the 5 days they've been here...no Mazuri. It would be great as a supplement, but NOT as a complete diet. While they are here they will graze outside as much as possible and they will eat growing stuff. I have separated the 3. Each to his own inside tort table. Outside...King Kong and Queenzilla are in the same pen. Tiny Tim is alone outside and in.
I believe in karma and karma just sat up and slapped the bully who is the abused now, not the abuser anymore. All day long King Kong pesters her. He is so obnoxious I feel kinda sorry for the Qzilla.
He tries to mate her every minute all day long. I have not seen evidence of a penis yet, but he does make a lot of grunting noise, open mouthed rhythmic grunting...he rapes her face, bites her legs, and made her run scared. So tomorrow they will stay together, while I make another new pen, then each will be alone. be kinda fun to get Russian eggs...maybe.
Does this look familiar to anyone?
100_0553.JPG
100_0551.JPG

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I received 3 Russian tortoises while I was incommunicado, 2 males and a female. The first male looks to be very old with an upper beak that has been too overgrown for a very long time. Other than that he looks ok. Russians are not one of my favorite species, and these 3 have exhibited all the qualities I dislike...but on with my little story...I named him King Kong as he is very aggressive and struts around the pen like he thinks he's king...kong...lol
View attachment 332530
I was told that the female and the other male were the same size and age when they were put in a pen together...this is them...
View attachment 332531
View attachment 332532
for you newcomers...this is a classic example of bullying. The female is the bigger tort. She gets all the food. In my tort tables I feed on a frisbee, and as soon as she thinks I am gone, she bites at his face and CLIMBS HER BIGAS*ED self into the middle of the frisbee thereby covering most of the food with her body. She eats like it's the last, and she stuffs herself so fast I have seen her vomit balled up food twice. She herds him into corners like Lassie, then climbs up on him to sleep, totally on top of him. In the outside pen she herds him to the spots of more dirt than graze, I have actually seen her push him into a corner while she grazed the fresh seeds sprouts... He is so freakin small the first thing he did was escape the outside pen and was scurrying across the yard headed for the chain link gate...designed to hold Sulcata...but this guy scooted under that gate like 007 and if I hadn't of
Fortunately for them and me I will only have them for a few months. But I will do my best to improve their health and ATTITUDES while they are here. I think I have named her Queenzilla
View attachment 332533
He is a perfectly formed Russian tortoise only miniature. He is very small, but old enuf to have that overgrown beak as well. So here are 3 Russian tortoises...all with over grown beaks... and not really been kept well...this is what their complete diet has been...
View attachment 332534
I have made some changes in the 5 days they've been here...no Mazuri. It would be great as a supplement, but NOT as a complete diet. While they are here they will graze outside as much as possible and they will eat growing stuff. I have separated the 3. Each to his own inside tort table. Outside...King Kong and Queenzilla are in the same pen. Tiny Tim is alone outside and in.
I believe in karma and karma just sat up and slapped the bully who is the abused now, not the abuser anymore. All day long King Kong pesters her. He is so obnoxious I feel kinda sorry for the Qzilla.
He tries to mate her every minute all day long. I have not seen evidence of a penis yet, but he does make a lot of grunting noise, open mouthed rhythmic grunting...he rapes her face, bites her legs, and made her run scared. So tomorrow they will stay together, while I make another new pen, then each will be alone. be kinda fun to get Russian eggs...maybe.
View attachment 332535
View attachment 332536
Uh oh.. more trouble makers

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
View attachment 332530
View attachment 332531
View attachment 332532
View attachment 332533
View attachment 332534
View attachment 332535
View attachment 332536
Your at it again bringing more antics to TFO for us to follow ? this time with the Russians. I think they are very lucky to have a change of scenery and better diet and environment. Yes last pics remind me of Houdini and also of my own tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's typical for males to be smaller than females with this species. He's probably not as young as you think he is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been burned before with fostering. I finally learned how to say no. I still have one foster that was supposed to be for about 6 months and I still have it after two years.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's typical for males to be smaller than females with this species. He's probably not as young as you think he is.
I don't think he is young, I say he's tiny...he is 4"scl and 200 grams...she and he used to be the same size...now she is 9"scl and 705 grams. This is them...
100_0652.JPG

This is the 3...the other male and the female are close to the same size...
100_0595.JPG

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I don't think he is young, I say he's tiny...he is 4"scl and 200 grams...she and he used to be the same size...now she is 9"scl and 705 grams. This is them...
View attachment 332930

This is the 3...the other male and the female are close to the same size...
View attachment 332931
Maybe Yvonne didn't have her hearing aids in. You could try typing in CAPS. Sorry, I've got the sillies again.

Houdini says HEY.

Sloanbarry

Ambridge PA
View attachment 332530
View attachment 332531
View attachment 332532
View attachment 332533
View attachment 332534
View attachment 332535
View attachment 332536
?‍♀️ Sure does look familiar. Mine hasn’t done it in a while though thank goodness.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
View attachment 332530
View attachment 332531
View attachment 332532
View attachment 332533
View attachment 332534
View attachment 332535
View attachment 332536
What I'd like to know is how those former owners even got Russians to eat anything besides weeds. Let alone live on Mazuri. I'm still trying to find a way to get Sapphire to eat a little bit of it. He's messing up his salad but eating so he MIGHT be getting a little tid bit now and then. He's refused everything before that that had anything mixed in. Like Zoo Med and that kinda stuff. But you're right... they are a scrappy little dufess ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'll never tell where the bodies are buried...lol
he is really old I think...I ordered a dremmel manicure set that should arrive this week. I prolly shouldn't have said anything...I really don't know how I'm gonna hold his head and dremmel too...who know's, I might be great at it...all 3 are overgrown...It's been storming and raining hard for a few days so they've been inside. The 2 in the tort shed seem to be ok...but this guy is in my "it's not a reptile room. room"...so I get to hear him banging all damn day. today I threw him outside in a bin and set him in what sun spot was there...and promptly forgot him...glad it was a mild day...lol
100_0587.JPG
See the sweet face of Mary K...no Russian ever looked that sweet...lol
100_0452.JPG
What I'd like to know is how those former owners even got Russians to eat anything besides weeds. Let alone live on Mazuri. I'm still trying to find a way to get Sapphire to eat a little bit of it. He's messing up his salad but eating so he MIGHT be getting a little tid bit now and then. He's refused everything before that that had anything mixed in. Like Zoo Med and that kinda stuff. But you're right... they are a scrappy little dufess ?
This Mazuri looks exactly like rabbit pellets, smell like it too. When I used to buy Mazuri it was chunks, not pellets and it smelled heavily of molasses which it was covered with...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
he is really old I think...I ordered a dremmel manicure set that should arrive this week. I prolly shouldn't have said anything...I really don't know how I'm gonna hold his head and dremmel too...who know's, I might be great at it...all 3 are overgrown...It's been storming and raining hard for a few days so they've been inside. The 2 in the tort shed seem to be ok...but this guy is in my "it's not a reptile room. room"...so I get to hear him banging all damn day. today I threw him outside in a bin and set him in what sun spot was there...and promptly forgot him...glad it was a mild day...lol
View attachment 333323
See the sweet face of Mary K...no Russian ever looked that sweet...lol
View attachment 333324

This Mazuri looks exactly like rabbit pellets, smell like it too. When I used to buy Mazuri it was chunks, not pellets and it smelled heavily of molasses which it was covered with...
The package I just received is tiny like fish pellets for Bettas. Sapphire doesn't hate the smell and eats his salad so he may get a bit now and then. It's the LS. So far I've been softening a tsp but I think I could take it down to half of that and mix it up with his salad. So he could get little bits now and then. This one doesn't have sugar. It's the first one I've seen that he doesn't immediately refuse everything on his plate to avoid polluting himself with ?