Built My Own Zoo Med Style Tortoise Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatadude

5 Year Member
I had enough scrap wood and chicken wire in my garage to put together a Zoo Med style tortoise table for my very first Sulcata (hatchling). The main difference in my own design is I didn't build in a floor piece. I left the bottom open so I could use the existing grass in my lawn as the surface.

A few questions:

1. Is it okay to use the existing St. Augustine grass in my yard as the "substrate" for my enclosure, or do they need something flatter when they are still hatchlings? (Grass is fertilizer and pesticide free because my daughter plays in the yard)

2. I live in Houston, Texas, where summers are hot & humid. Can I leave the Sulcata out all day if the temps go up into the 90's or 100's? The covered side measures 20 degrees cooler, but there isn't much of a temperature range in the hotter uncovered side.

3. My Sulcata seems to pick out red-leaf and romaine lettuce from the large variety of food I offer. My worry is that when I cut back on those lettuces, she seems to not eat at all. Even if I mince the lettuce and mix with Mazuri, she'll very carefully pick out the lettuce pieces. If I mix it up so much that they can't pick out the lettuce, she won't eat at all. In your experience, will she eventually eat other stuff if she's hungry enough? Is it okay to risk calorie loss in such a small tortoise as I try to transition her to accepting new foods?

4. I purchased the Sulcata at a local reptile show from a breeder who kept all his hatchlings in a dry environment on rabbit pellets. Based on what I've read from Tom, my hatchling might be at a disadvantage health-wise because of this "wrong" environment early on? The reason I'm concerned is that the tortoise was 41 grams the day I purchased her (at 1 month of age), and in the past month she has only gained a gram or two. From what I have read, she should be putting on more than one gram per month!

Anyways, sorry for my lengthy questions.. I just want to make sure I'm doing things right!

2013-04-15%2011.29.56.jpg
2013-04-15%2011.27.42.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6739062/2013-04-15 11.27.26.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6739062/2013-04-15 11.27.17.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6739062/2013-04-15 11.27.12.jpg

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Looks pretty cool, the only concern I have is that the walls are fairly high for how small your tort is, and the sun will really need to be almost directly above for it to get any natural sunlight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes he can be out all summer, as long as the covered end stays cool enough. Also, as for the feeding. Keep trying. However, the more you can let her graze on some nice edible weeds, the better. When chopping the greens she doesn't like, chop the really tiny, leave the ones she like just a little bigger, spritz with water and mix. The water helps the tiny bits stick to the little large like able bits and she will have to eat it all to get what she wants. I wouldn't risk one at that age loosing weight, but don't stop trying to get her to eat a more varied diet.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Very crafty! Your tort will outgrow it pretty quick, especially the little entrance into the hide area, but for now its awesome. :)

Do you take the tort indoors at night?

The grass is a good substrate as long as your tort can walk across it without loosing his balance and tipping over. If you notice he has any issues flipping over on the grass, I'd change it out ASAP.

Temps in the 90s and 100s are okay if temps in the shaded box are cooler. They need an easily accessible, cool retreat like that if things get too warm.

Yes, in my experience, they will save the worst foods for last, but eventually gobble it all up when they're hungry.

sulcatadude

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Yes he can be out all summer, as long as the covered end stays cool enough. Also, as for the feeding. Keep trying. However, the more you can let her graze on some nice edible weeds, the better. When chopping the greens she doesn't like, chop the really tiny, leave the ones she like just a little bigger, spritz with water and mix. The water helps the tiny bits stick to the little large like able bits and she will have to eat it all to get what she wants. I wouldn't risk one at that age loosing weight, but don't stop trying to get her to eat a more varied diet.

Chopping the icky greens much smaller is a great idea.. Hopefully enough of it will stick to the items she eats.

sulcatadude

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
Very crafty! Your tort will outgrow it pretty quick, especially the little entrance into the hide area, but for now its awesome. :)

The grass is a good substrate as long as your tort can walk across it without loosing his balance and tipping over. If you notice he has any issues flipping over on the grass, I'd change it out ASAP.

Temps in the 90s and 100s are okay if temps in the shaded box are cooler. They need an easily accessible, cool retreat like that if things get too warm.

Yes, in my experience, they will save the worst foods for last, but eventually gobble it all up when they're hungry.

Yeah, he goes in at night for now. When the night temps get warmer, he'll stay out 24/7..

mctlong said:

I figure by the time the untreated wood is rotted in a year or two, he'll be ready to roam free in the yard or graduate to a bigger custom enclosure. I''ll probably have to saw out a bigger passage in the wall b/w the open and closed sides.

theelectraco said:
Looks pretty cool, the only concern I have is that the walls are fairly high for how small your tort is, and the sun will really need to be almost directly above for it to get any natural sunlight.

As I understand it, indirect sunlight still provides plenty of UV explosure. I've certainly gotten a tan/burn before while reading a book in the shade. In any case, the enclosure still offers an area of direct sunlight through much of the day (it's oriented east/west lengthwise).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulcatas love to dig holes so I hope your pin is in the ground a little . They can and will dig out . When he gets bigger you may want to keep him in a well built pin so he does not dig out or push though . But you should be fine for now .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. St. Augustine is a great food for them. Should work well as a substrate too.
2. What works in the spring usually will not work in the summer. That little box is going to get too hot in the Texas summer sun. You will need something much bigger with some heavy overhead shade like from trees or shrubs. That little covered portion is going to get very hot in the sun once the temps are nearing 100.
3. and 4. These two are probably related. Your tortoises was poorly started and this tends to decrease appetite. The person probably didn't go to too much trouble too initially introduce a wide variety of foods either. When they suffer chronic dehydration as babies it can damage their internal organs. There is no way to tell just how much damage has been done. All you can do at this point is offer the best possible conditions, diet and temps and hope for the best.

Outdoors all the time is not a good way to go for babies in my opinion. Especially a potentially compromised baby like yours. You need a closed chamber set up with perfect temps and humidity indoors and then just put him out for some sun for an hour a day or so when the weather is nice. Put him out for an hour, then bring him back in to a warm soak. I like to soak them in a tub inside their humid enclosure after a sunning session. Rinse and repeat the next day. Keep mincing and mixing the foods and eventually he should come around.

Good luck. Who are you gonna buy from next time?

sulcatadude

5 Year Member
Tom said:
1. St. Augustine is a great food for them. Should work well as a substrate too.
2. What works in the spring usually will not work in the summer. That little box is going to get too hot in the Texas summer sun. You will need something much bigger with some heavy overhead shade like from trees or shrubs. That little covered portion is going to get very hot in the sun once the temps are nearing 100.
3. and 4. These two are probably related. Your tortoises was poorly started and this tends to decrease appetite. The person probably didn't go to too much trouble too initially introduce a wide variety of foods either. When they suffer chronic dehydration as babies it can damage their internal organs. There is no way to tell just how much damage has been done. All you can do at this point is offer the best possible conditions, diet and temps and hope for the best.

Outdoors all the time is not a good way to go for babies in my opinion. Especially a potentially compromised baby like yours. You need a closed chamber set up with perfect temps and humidity indoors and then just put him out for some sun for an hour a day or so when the weather is nice. Put him out for an hour, then bring him back in to a warm soak. I like to soak them in a tub inside their humid enclosure after a sunning session. Rinse and repeat the next day. Keep mincing and mixing the foods and eventually he should come around.

Good luck. Who are you gonna buy from next time?

Thanks for your advice. I'm hoping his growth rate will pick-up with continued proper care. Not sure who/where I'll purchase my next sulcata, but I have room for several adults on my property. Could you by any chance recommend a competent breeder in the Houston or Texas area?

Status
Not open for further replies.