building new outdoor enclosure - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, I am building a new outdoor summer home for my 3 toed's and would appreciate any helpful advice. What do I plant for them to eat and what is on the toxic list to avoid? Do they need a night time box with heat or just a box? I am in Washington state so nights can get to 45-50 sometimes. Will they dig for worms if I provide for that, like a compost type pile in the corner? How do I encourage bugs to make themselves at home or at least visit? Would an electric wire run around the perimeter ward off racoons? I have seed left from the planting of my Russian torts home, can I use that? Will they eat the same grass and weed mix? The area is only gonna be about 4' x 6'. Is a daylily safe for them?
Thanks in advance.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I use daylilies, but my boxies only use it for shade. Hibiscus is a favorite, holyhock, geraniums, all favorites. You can use seeds for weeds, I also use russian blend and my boxies eat them. You will need to place a cover over the top to prevent racoons or bring them in at night. My start to hibernate once it goes below 60 degrees.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Hostas are another choice for planting. They attract slugs (yummy) and are nontoxic providing shade and shelter.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
I use daylilies, but my boxies only use it for shade. Hibiscus is a favorite, holyhock, geraniums, all favorites. You can use seeds for weeds, I also use russian blend and my boxies eat them. You will need to place a cover over the top to prevent racoons or bring them in at night. My start to hibernate once it goes below 60 degrees.

You mentioned putting a cover over the top to prevent racoons. If the wall is 3 feet tall and it has an electric wire run 3-4" high on top of the wall do ya think that would deter racoons? Thinking behind that is, if the racoon stands up to take a sniff he should get a zap on the nose. What do ya think?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Run one wire about 8" off ground and another about 18" to 24" above ground. This way when sniffing on all fours it'll be shocked and the higher strand shocks when standing starting to climb. The idea is that the animal is grounded. This set-up worked for me with poultry and kept coons, possums, and coyotes at bay. You'll still need a cover to keep raptors and crows away.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
Run one wire about 8" off ground and another about 18" to 24" above ground. This way when sniffing on all fours it'll be shocked and the higher strand shocks when standing starting to climb. The idea is that the animal is grounded. This set-up worked for me with poultry and kept coons, possums, and coyotes at bay. You'll still need a cover to keep raptors and crows away.

my goodness, raptors and crows too? I am feeling less and less good about my torts and turts being outside.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Covers are not that hard to make and that way they will be safe, as far as the racoons go I have no idea as we don't have them around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.