Building new indoor enclosure.

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
And it starts. Doing a 4x6. Kinda a starter house. I’m sure I’ll need to upgrade later. I find this very difficult. It’s weird. I have mechanical skills but can’t build a box. Go figure. I’ll update as I go. I don’t plan on finishing anytime soon. Gonna take my time. Building it with 2x3’s and 1x2’s to save a little weight. Using somewhat thin plywood too.

FC6D3EDE-4F02-4DB1-8C8A-7B1EB29BD3AD.jpeg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's a start lol. But really a night box can be tough to build perfect. Mine will never look like Toms hides. Lol but as long as it's functional and doesn't have gaps where cool drafts can enter and it's insulated and heated it will work. Keep us posted on it.

Kyle

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this a night box or enclosure? If it's a night box, don't use too thin of wood and it will last you a long time. If it's an enclosure, then yes, eventually you will need another bigger one. Getting started is the first big step. You got that down. Fit and size before attaching. It sucks when you have to take it apart. Dry run saves time.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
It’s an indoor enclosure. Almost done with the build but it’s just too dark to finish. I’m not totally happy with how it turned out but it is a lot better than the one I made before. I think I made the walls too tall. 19” from the plywood. And how the corners come together annoys me. Oh well. Next time will be better.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Oh and I did buy a carpentry and framing book off amazon but decided to start building instead of waiting for it.

Have some sandy colored paint for the inside. Then just start caulking it up and figure out how big to make the hide box.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Just need a couple more 2x3’s. And I think I’m gonna do a pipe frame for the lights and plastic covering like a saw Tom mention in one of his posts. The tortoise is going to look tiny in here

AD6198AA-5C76-43B5-AA1A-CFDA68B001EE.jpeg

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Any recommendations on the hide? Should I build one into it or just use some Rubbermaid container turned upside down?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I would build one . the Rubbermaid tubs work just don't like the way they taper up so hard to out it in the enclosure without having a spot your tortoise will try and squeeze into. But either way works. Enclosure is looking good and sturdy

Kyle

Erik Elvis

Delaware
7FC58CF8-088F-492E-B6DC-8585B0BAF13B.jpeg

Thanks. It’s funny you mention that. I bought a Rubbermaid tub and didn’t like how it tapered up but I’m already feeling burnt out from building. I do have some extra 2x3’s and a sheet of ply wood if I feel up to it.

Now onto the paints. I originally thought a low voc enamel ( edit:just looked it’s 100% acrylic latex...)would be ok for the inside. But the further you look into things it’s seems everything is bad.... and I was just going to spray paint some kind of woodsy design on the Rubbermaid tub. Are the paints ok if I give them plenty of time to dry?

Last edited:

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I of course read after I bought the gallon (which was expensive) that yellows might not be the best as torts can think it’s food. This is more of a tan. Its the afternoon stroll. Seem ok?
9E73DB48-BCA3-4CF8-B794-0C2919F1012B.jpeg

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Ok I think I’m going to do a pvc tent. Any ideas how to make the flourescent lights attach to it so I have some adjustability.

I’m thinking for the 2 CHE’s and heat lamp I was just gonna clamp them to the side of the enclosure. Stick a nail in the side and secure it with some steel wire. Also secure the screw part with some thread locker so I doesn’t come loose.

Anyone have any ideas?

Boony

5 Year Member
Southern California
Ok I think I’m going to do a pvc tent. Any ideas how to make the flourescent lights attach to it so I have some adjustability.

I’m thinking for the 2 CHE’s and heat lamp I was just gonna clamp them to the side of the enclosure. Stick a nail in the side and secure it with some steel wire. Also secure the screw part with some thread locker so I doesn’t come loose.

Anyone have any ideas?

PVC piping sounds great. I wish I could build one for my box turtles. I ended up buying lamp stands instead, but they’ve been working fine since 2016. For UV lamps (florescent), you might want to try this horticulture lamp standee. Last winter, I bought two of them (small and large ones) for my hatchlings and adult box turtles. I used the same bulbs (designed for plants; slightly weaker than reptile bulbs) that came with the standees, and I could tell that my tortoises became much healthier and more active than when they didn’t have the uv lamp. For this winter, I replaced the bulbs with the ones from ZooMed, and the tortoise seem to fine as before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6A69Q2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

As for heating lamp, if you are willing to buy lamp stand, I recommend this. I’ve put three of them to all the indoor enclosures since last winter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255OUO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20