Building new indoor enclosure

kaitiejane

I had made the mistake of listening to the pet store and bought the wrong type of cage and am now trying to create a new home for my hatchling. I have a bookshelf that is much much larger than what he's living in now. I just needed help on to how to close off the top for humidity help and also I have the combo mini dome lamp fixture for the night time heat and the day heat and was wondering how I could hang it over this new enclosure. I am able to just set the uvb strip along the bookshelf because it fits. Just stumped on how to hang the heat light fixture. Also if you guys have any tips feel free to share them! Thank you!!!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427983195.584962.jpg that is it so far! I know I have a lot of work to do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is a pretty good idea, Kaitie. Get a cheap shower curtain or shower curtain liner and line it, then add your substrate. I staple my plastic, but you can also use duct tape. Maybe you can have someone cut you a piece of plywood that fits over the top, then cut out holes for the lights. If you can afford a few bucks, there's a really neat light stand here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255OUO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And a few different ideas for making your own here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...s-of-your-homemade-light-stand-hanger.108893/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I like the lamp post idea a lot. Here is how i covered mine. It is just a cold frame covered with plastic. Sorry it's not a very good picture. The lights hang from the cold frame.

Attachments

• 0927141905a.jpg
    0927141905a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59

kaitiejane

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428782211.184414.jpg we ended up just buying more wood and placing it on top so it would sit high enough up!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Coming along! I think the UVB needs to be 6-8" above tort.

Feels good to make it from scratch doesn't it?! :)

Add some hides too, like live plants, a half log, or partially buried pot. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Is that a mercury vapor bulb? It should be about 12 inches above your tortoises shell if it is 100 W, 15 inches plus if it is 160 W.

kaitiejane

I have one hide in there underneath the moss it's kinda hard to tell its there! Also I want to add plants but not sure on what to put in there with out having to add them inside a pot

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Looking real good so far! I'm sure your little guy appreciates all the extra room :)