Building my outdoor pastures and enclosures

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
Ok so within the next few months I’m going to start building a large outdoor enclosure. We have a really small one now. Once that’s done I’m planning on starting my pastures as I want them very well established before I introduce any of my tortoises. My outdoor enclosure is going to be roughly 400-500 Square feet. It’s for the hatchlings and it will have a top. (I will post pictures when I start and finish) it’s practically a chicken coop with a 3 foot tall solid wood bottom. You’ll see lol

These are the plants I’m going to have in that enclosure and hopefully if the do well, then I will also plant them in my pastures. I am starting from scratch as I have taken all plants out of these areas. Is this a good amount of variety. If you could add something what would it be. (I’m not adding Cactus as I have small children and we have enough accidents without it lol.)

Grasses
Barley
Ryegrass (multiple types)
Sudangrass
Oat grass
Timothy grass
Orchardgrass
Cereal rye grass
Kentucky bluegrass
Creeping red fescue

Weeds and Flowers
Crimson clover
White clover
Forget me not
Dandelion
Harebell
Blue sow thistle
Mallow
Plantain

Other
Hibiscus
Elm**** this is only going in the pastures
Mulberry ***** this is only going in the pastures
Spiraea

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
As a very accident prone (the Children's Hospital ER nurses new my name) years ago I grew up with a dad that was facinated by cacti. We lived in Ohio so one corner of the basement had three tiers with over 30 of them. The meanest monster was barrel cactus that seemed to shoot the spines at you. I survived and just think what your torts would miss out on. If you protect it well enough to keep the torts away it should keep the kids too.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
As a very accident prone (the Children's Hospital ER nurses new my name) years ago I grew up with a dad that was facinated by cacti. We lived in Ohio so one corner of the basement had three tiers with over 30 of them. The meanest monster was barrel cactus that seemed to shoot the spines at you. I survived and just think what your torts would miss out on. If you protect it well enough to keep the torts away it should keep the kids too.

lol you don’t know my daughter, and I don’t think they are missing much considering how much their diets will have with what I did include.?