Building Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo183

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I'm not much of a builder but I'm looking to build my Russian a permanent indoor enclosure. I was wondering if one of the nice people of the community could help me out? Could someone draw me up some plans for a 5'x3' wooden enclosure? And it would really be helpful if you included a list of building materials? Thank you SO much in advance!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
How far are you from Boston ? I'm about and hour west Pm me maybe I can drop by and help you out

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Robert said:
I'd be willing to help. That is if CtTortoise mom gives me permission.

Rob you better be nice so she will let go out an play :p

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'm like a half hour north of boston, I can build it i just dunno what kinda wood to use or what materials are best.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It really depends on you and how much you want to spend on it how fancy you want to make it . for wood you can use plywood, you can use plexiglas for a viewing windowand to cover the top . you can put tile or linoleum or a shower curtain on the bottom etc etc. let us know what your thinking

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
There are pros and con's to every type of material. I use wood because it is easiest for me to work with.

One easy way would be this:

Go to Home Depot and purchase a board: 2x12x10. Have home depot cut it for you into two 5 foot lengths. Buy a second board: 2x12x8. Have home depot cut it for you into two 3 foot lengths. (You will have two feet of scrap.)
Then buy a sheet of plywood, particle board or the white laminate particle board. Have home depot cut it for you. 5ft x 3ft 4inches.

Pre drill two holes into the ends of the 5 foot boards. Place the 3ft boards between the two 5 foot boards and screw together. Then place the precut plywood on top and pre drill and screw it into the 5x3.4 box you just built. Flip it over.

Buy a shower liner or something similar. Line the box. Fill with substrate and decorate.

That's pretty much it for a basic 3x5 enclosure. You can get fancy building a stand or just place it on a preexisting stand of some type.

Supplies:
2x12x10 plank x1
2x12x8 plank x1
Sheet of plywood or similar x1
Power drill
Drill bit
2.5 inch wood screws (1 small box)
Shower liner

Again, this is about as basic as it gets. Is this what you are looking for or something more involved?

A few other recommendations.

Buy a 2x4x6 and have home depot cut it into two 3 feet lengths. Pre drill and screw into the sides of the enclosure standing upright closer to one end of your enclosure. Then buy a 1 inch wooden dowell and have home depot cut it to 3 feet 4 inches. Drill a 1 inch hole in the the tops of the 2 upright 2x4s and thread the dowel through. Now you have a place to hang your lights and CHE from.

Next buy a piece of plexiglass and lay it over the top of the enclosure.

Now you can adjust temps by raising and lowering the lights and CHE and control humidity by deciding how much of the enclosure is covered by the plexiglass.

Is this what you had in mind?

Obviously you don't need to have Home Depot cut the wood, it is just easier.

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
wow very detailed thank you! now did i miss it? how thick plywood would u recommend? and then im set :D

Status
Not open for further replies.