Building an Outdoor Tortoise Table- Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Ok Im building a tortoise table next to my house and I want it to house my leopards, red foots, my sulcata. They are all small and 3 inches or less. My plan is to have this to be their permanent home until they outgrow them. I want to make their enclose safe for the evenings and safe from outside creatures. I was thinking to make it against my house and it will be 5 feet by 15 feet except in the middle area it will be 3 feet wide. I am planning to make it two stories. It will have the top section and a ramp that leads to a bottom section that is also the same dimensions. It will have glass doors as walls for observation and to take them out on the bottom and wood walls for the top with insulation. On the top i want to make a ceiling made with a wood frame and chicken wire. Im still not sure how to put the lamps and regulate heat. I do want to have it warm enough for them to be comfortable during the night. The table will be sectioned off into three sections and will have decor and an environment best suited for each species. I want this to be perfect for my torts! i need your help though.

1. What is your suggestions on regulating temps and humidity?
2. Is it big enough?
3. Anything you think i should add or subtract.

I really want to get my torts out of their temporary tank. I dont like them there but I dont have a safe place right now for an outdoor enclosure after my baby leopard incident. Please TFO members! I really need your input here!

-Drew

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Sounds like a pretty good idea but honestly Lauries outdoor enclosures are THE most legit enclosures one can make in my opinion and I will be making all of mine almost exactly like that. Here's what hers look like, no need to worry about your tortoise escaping out of these things. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Brains-is-getting-a-neighbor#axzz27YFB5NFp You will need to bring your torts indoors for the winter because it gets way too cold where you are to keep hatchlings outside.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Sounds like a pretty good idea but honestly Lauries outdoor enclosures are THE most legit enclosures one can make in my opinion and I will be making all of mine almost exactly like that. Here's what hers look like, no need to worry about your tortoise escaping out of these things. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Brains-is-getting-a-neighbor#axzz27YFB5NFp You will need to bring your torts indoors for the winter because it gets way too cold where you are to keep hatchlings outside.

Is there any way to make it warm enough for them at night?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You'd most likely need some type of insulated shed, otherwise you'd be spending loads of money for heat lamps that are outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.