Building A Pond - Marking Out The Shape

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Not sure where you live but recently I had a Great Blue Heron (bird) visit on a day I wasn't home and ate 6 of my prized Koi fish that were well over 7",,,that I raised from 2" specimens about 5 years worth of raising up. Talk about a bummer!..........Just a word to the wise... Fake Owls, Snakes, auto sprinklers, don't fool these birds after their initial visit. So......I have some other sneaky Ideas.....:rolleyes:
The mesh or screen covering looks like crap....well I guess if submerged wouldn't be so bad, but I have turtles as well- so they need upper access and basking areas. I also have a frog pond , that a few different species' are doing well and producing tap poles hatching in that pond. Your outline pond looks great. Make sure to get a quality UV filter (they are not cheap) some have cool lights incorporated into them , pump type screen filters are ok for secondary , but if that is just used your pond it will be a mush pit/dirty within a few weeks. Keep us all updated with picks .......Happy Pond building!

M

Maggie Cummings

Yep, the bird netting looks like crap.....But I have eagles, hawks and 'coons, have to protect them somehow. These box turtles act like they are at Disneyland. They have so much fun. They like to push the board back and forth to each other and they hide under it , cute....
dscn1646-jpg.172665

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Can't wait to see the next video...

Jared121599

I am also building an outdoor pond for my turtle and I don't know if it is better to have a natural pond or a filtered one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can tell you one mistake I made when I built my first pond. I put it too close to my fence and had a hard time getting to that side of it to clean, fix settling rocks etc. Be sure you leave yourself plenty of space to easily get between your fence and the pond. It's not fun when there isn't enough room to get to all sides of your pond. Makes everything harder.
Can't wait to see it finished.
I just put in a small prefabbed pond, was missing the large one I used to have.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. Job well done. Warning, it is contagious to want to continuiosly add to it.

gourami

Glad your building a pond, I would love to have one for comet goldfishes but the freezing temperature, and feral cats and birds, make it a hassle.
@N2TORTS that is seriously beautiful, what size is your ponds? Also could we also see your koi pond?

gourami

@ZEROPILOT Oh I apologize I didn't know, but the pictures looks too awesome. The birds and feral cats make it harmful for any goldfishes to be outside where I live(NJ). Though I have seen net coverings that I will take note of and ask around if anyone has ponds that could give me more tips. I mostly just any goldfish since I never had any.
Besides my 10g and 50g tanks, I have a spare tempered glass 60g tank that I might put 1-2 fancy goldies in

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Happy Birthday.
The fish pond photos ARE amazing and far fancier than my two.
I have some koi and a few goldfish. Mostly fish that were meant to be feeders and got lucky enough to live out their days in peace.
My ponds are within a screened in enclosure behind my house.
A few of our members have very extravagant fish and tortoise ponds like member @ReptileStation