Building a new enclosure in place of my temporary one, any tips?

Pungent

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia
Hi everyone!
This is my new Tortoise ,"Cave" he is a Greek tortoise and i put him in this temporary enclosure until i get the necessary items for a full-fledged enclosure
here is his current home:
IMG_20200505_145841.jpg
I'm thinking of getting these items:
- https://saudi.souq.com/sa-en/hagen-...3watts-reptile-products-exo-terra-47427036/i/
- https://saudi.souq.com/sa-en/reptile-heat-lamp-infrared-ceramic-heater-natural-heat-59221100359/u/
- Ceramic tile for UV light and basking
- A holder for the UV and heater bulb

This is where i will build the new enclosure(the table next to the tank)
IMG_20200505_152443.jpg
I have some questions:
what material should i use for the walls of the enclosure?(i was thinking of transparent acrylic), is there a better alternative?
what are the things i should keep in mind when making the enclosure?
I'm using birch tree wood shavings, is that okay for a substrate?(i spray it with water daily for moisture)

Thank you guys so much for your support so far. love ya :<3:

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that light may be too close to the top of the tortoise's shell. It may burn the new growth.

Acrylic could be good for the new enclosure. If you notice that he's bothered by being able to see out then you can just tape up some paper along the bottom on the outside so he can't see out

I don't know anything about birch shavings, but a quick Google search told me it may be irritating, so I wouldn't use that. Can you find fir bark in your country? If not, maybe you can order it online. Or coco coir.

Don't buy that three watts curly shaped bulb. they have been known to be harmful to young tortoise's eyes.

The infra red ceramic heat lamp is a good choice, but I can't find anywhere in the ad where it tells the watts of the unit. In my opinion, all you need is 100 watts.

Pungent

I think that light may be too close to the top of the tortoise's shell. It may burn the new growth.

Acrylic could be good for the new enclosure. If you notice that he's bothered by being able to see out then you can just tape up some paper along the bottom on the outside so he can't see out

I don't know anything about birch shavings, but a quick Google search told me it may be irritating, so I wouldn't use that. Can you find fir bark in your country? If not, maybe you can order it online. Or coco coir.

Don't buy that three watts curly shaped bulb. they have been known to be harmful to young tortoise's eyes.

The infra red ceramic heat lamp is a good choice, but I can't find anywhere in the ad where it tells the watts of the unit. In my opinion, all you need is 100 watts.

- https://www.ubuy.com.sa/en/search/i...piacl-25uvb-15w/store/store/kk/dp?ref_p=dp-rp
is this a good alternative from the curly-bulbs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about that brand, but it's better than the curly bulb. Let's ask @Markw84 to help with this light.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am not familiar with that brand at all. It sounds OK by the description, but I am normally cautious about "off brands" as they often do not produce the right spectrum and is not quality controlled.

Can you get Arcadia brand there? I know they are good. Perhaps Zoo Med?

Pungent

I am not familiar with that brand at all. It sounds OK by the description, but I am normally cautious about "off brands" as they often do not produce the right spectrum and is not quality controlled.

Can you get Arcadia brand there? I know they are good. Perhaps Zoo Med?
I really want to get them the top-quality equipment and lighting but amazon has limited shipping, so they sadly don't deliver to my country.

There are some website that deliver, but they all have a limited variety of items, so all i can do for now to endure the best life during this time, is get some equipment that can be used temporarily, then once this is all over i just replace them eith new bulbs.