Building a new enclosure for my girl.

Xtrm

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
So I've got some time off work and I figured I should get started on my tortoise's new enclosure that I've been wanting to build for her for a while. I've never built my own enclosure, but since I cannot find a big enough one to buy or an easy build one big enough.

So when it comes to indoor enclosures, is there an easy build guide for tortoises? I have a Russian Tortoise whose around 6 inches long and 5 inches wide, so I know it should be quite big.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I've got some time off work and I figured I should get started on my tortoise's new enclosure that I've been wanting to build for her for a while. I've never built my own enclosure, but since I cannot find a big enough one to buy or an easy build one big enough.

So when it comes to indoor enclosures, is there an easy build guide for tortoises? I have a Russian Tortoise whose around 6 inches long and 5 inches wide, so I know it should be quite big.
Get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and put some 16-18 inch walls on it. Then mount a 2x4 on posts above the enclosure to hang all your lights from. Dump in 3-4 inches of fine grade orchid bark or cypress mulch and you are done. You can prime and paint it if you want. Put in a couple of large terra cotta saucers for food and water. Add a hide and some "furniture" and you'll have a nice enclosure.

Here is the current and correct care info for reference: