"BUILD & GARDEN CHAT"

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok .. Mike ... last week pouring "Mud" at LAX. .......^v^..
that's me way down there .............~~~~~~~~~>

No Laundry Room is complete unless you have your VW tiles! :p
these are actual ceramic tiles I had a company silk screen the images onto the tiles for me...came out Groovy ~ :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
On, I see, your one of those supervisors that thinks they do all the work:p :D. Kidding of course:D. So, whatcha building?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
On, I see, your one of those supervisors that thinks they do all the work:p :D. Kidding of course:D. So, whatcha building?

darn Barb you have good eyes .. you can see my clip board?
ha hahaha .... It's a new tortoise table " pit" ....:p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I be liking those tiles. Love the big trigger fish too.
Your going to need a tort table, nope tort mansion that big for that giant tortie you got:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm nowhere near a good builder. JD would never hire me :p But I try :)
I started building an insulated tort house for "my garden" :D. I plan to copy Tom's box but I had a hard time understanding the directions he gave. Lol. I'm sure most handy men would "get it" but I'm a stay at home mom and needed full directions! The Hubby gave me some pointers and here is where I left off (thanks a lot rainy weather!)
I hope to finish it once the rain moves on...
It's 4'x 2'x 2' with a 12"x 12" door
I finished insulating the lid..
Then had to run it under cover once the rain started.. :rolleyes:

Sent from my TFOapp

Attachments

• 1381369036712.jpg
    1381369036712.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 1381369065699.jpg
    1381369065699.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1381369095536.jpg
    1381369095536.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 1381369126892.jpg
    1381369126892.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 90

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Not bad kiddo not bad at all.....and MAMMA taught me .." Always treat a WOMEN with a HAMMER with RESPECT! :p,,,,,, although two things ...is that foam going to be exposed to the elements on the outter sides? Also ... where your little door way is ... you should have brought the "uprights" actually known as "trimmers and king studs" ... all the way to the top of the " top plate" this will help stabalize the door opening as well as provide more nailing area for your foam/wall material .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heather, most men measure once then have to cute twice, haha. They also don't show and tell until it's all finished. That way all the mistakes are hidden.
Your doing a great job. I would let you help me as a volunteer:D
Hey Jeff, that's a laundry room? Really nice. Looking like its huge. My laundry room is a stacked washer and dryer:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:

Barb ... it's going to be 10 story building in Downtown LA...next to LAX and the HYATT....actually my best friend from Jr. High school is the Superintendent on the job....:)

wellington said:
My laundry room is a stacked washer and dryer:D

ya mean no more bucket? .......:p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
N2TORTS said:
Not bad kiddo not bad at all.....and MAMMA taught me .." Always treat a WOMEN with a HAMMER with RESPECT! :p,,,,,, although two things ...is that foam going to be exposed to the elements on the outter sides? Also ... where your little door way is ... you should have brought the "uprights" actually known as "trimmers and king studs" ... all the way to the top of the " top plate" this will help stabalize the door opening as well as provide more nailing area for your foam/wall material .

um..let me see if I get it.
The rigid insulation is covered with plywood on both sides. An outer wall and an inner wall. I'm just not done yet. So, the answer is "no it wont be exposed". Is that what you were asking?
The "trimmers and king studs" ? does that mean my 2x2 should also connect to the top of the frame? If so, I have more and can fix that if I need to. Again, all sides have a plywood wall on the outside and the inside.

I really did my best to understand Tom's directions and copy it. I'll use the mini oil filled heat radiator, too.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man you make way to much money. Very nice JD

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Gosh darn, nope. I gots me a washer an dryer an hung up the wash board and bucket. I be moving up.:p :D

v^v^hummin'....movin' on up ...v^vto the top v^v^to high rise apartment in the sky .....
no wonder I couldn't find your house I was driving around everywhere looking for dem' laundry lines!....:p

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
would love to do that someday..maybe i wont make a career out of the Marines after all.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
N2TORTS said:

um..let me see if I get it.
The rigid insulation is covered with plywood on both sides. An outer wall and an inner wall. I'm just not done yet. So, the answer is "no it wont be exposed". Is that what you were asking?
The "trimmers and king studs" ? does that mean my 2x2 should also connect to the top of the frame? If so, I have more and can fix that if I need to. Again, all sides have a plywood wall on the outside and the inside.

I really did my best to understand Tom's directions and copy it. I'll use the mini oil filled heat radiator, too.

perfect ... so it will have a ply wood outer surface.... gotcha' on that part of my question. On the "kingstuds" ....ok see how you made your little door way ....and the vertical 2x2's you cut to height? Carry those all the way up to the top rail, cut them snug ... plumb and nail from the top and bottom of your unit ....and even before hand you can nail your " header" the horizontal piece of 2x2 you have in your doorway to those two pieces ....slide the "door unit in" and nail from the top and bottom of your unit. This will provide a very sturdy support ... especially in an operatable opening.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heather, I believe Jeff is saying for it to be like this. Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong:)
image-27.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Heather, nice job. Isn't it funny how men speak men's language and women just speak plain:p Your project looks clean and well built. Are you planing on placing it in the ground as Tom did? If this thread continues in the next couple of days, I'll post my pics of the shed converted into an insulated enclosure. I just got through putting down the adhesive for the cork flooring. The insulation is in and the durck will be put in this week. After that, I'll have to figure how I want to divide the room for the two bigger sullies.
But, for the most part, the outdoor enclosure will be completed. The Kane pig pads should come this week, and my sullies should move in at the end of this week.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ok....building is so hard!!!!
I'm going to play the gender card. ;) I have been having a hard time building this tort house but I can make a mean meal, keep a clean house, care for the kids and run the house hold with ease!

I got more done today but after an emotional meltdown my husband had to come to my rescue. He finished the cutting and putting up the walls. :) yay for my hero! Lol

I still have to add the floor insulation and plywood floor, caulk everything, make the door, hang door flaps, attach the roof and paint.
When I (we, since I'll probably enlist more help from the hubby) finish this house I need a break from all this turtle enclosure construction I've done...it's been kicking my girlie butt!

Sent from my TFOapp

Attachments

• 1381463945451.jpg
    1381463945451.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 50