Bugs (yes another panicked person who found bugs in his enclosure)

HelpME

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I got my Hermann's tortoise around a month and a half ago, and today I noticed tiny white bugs in his enclosure. They weren't flying, and are of a grayish-white color. They are barley noticeable due to their size, and I changed his substrate recently (a few weeks ago). I know that some bugs are not harmful to tortoises, but I cannot identify these bugs. If you need any extra information, just ask.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got my Hermann's tortoise around a month and a half ago, and today I noticed tiny white bugs in his enclosure. They weren't flying, and are of a grayish-white color. They are barley noticeable due to their size, and I changed his substrate recently (a few weeks ago). I know that some bugs are not harmful to tortoises, but I cannot identify these bugs. If you need any extra information, just ask.
Hello and welcome to TFO. I've never seen that so I can't answer your question. I'm sure someone will see your post soon... but in the meantime, if you could post a picture it would help more experienced members help you with this. ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Those are springtails and they're harmless to your tortoise. They're actually beneficial because they eat waste.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'll third that...springtails...my blind box turtle had them in her habitat so bad...I couldn't stand it anymore, even tho she didn't seem to notice...so I took her out, cleaned out any food scraps and poured boiling hot water over the soil...mixed it all around...waited abt a week...put her beck in and she is fine now...

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yes i used to get them often in my old enclosure ...i completely cleaned it out and removed any uneaten food or poop as soon as possible and it seemed to help.. or maybe its just a much larger enclosure and i dont notice as much lol

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Yes i used to get them often in my old enclosure ...i completely cleaned it out and removed any uneaten food or poop as soon as possible and it seemed to help.. or maybe its just a much larger enclosure and i dont notice as much lol

Unless an enclosure is too small and has too much waste these and sow bugs/isopods help keep down the tedious need to replace substrate. A fortuitous discovery?. Waste food is easy to see and remove each day.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
You are lucky to have springtails for free. They occur naturally in the environment and are natures cleaning crew. When they dont appear on their own, many reptile and amphibian keepers will buy them to add to the substrate. They keep the substrate fresh and people who enjoy keeping and reproducing small frogs also rely on them as a food source. I bought a culture of springtails via internet from Josh's Frogs a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. Whenever I set up a new terrestrial turtle habitat I add a handful of the culture to the substrate and they prevent the buildup of waste that I miss when spot cleaning. Another benefit is they outcompete fungus gnats which you really dont want to get established in your house.

HelpME

Texas
Unless an enclosure is too small and has too much waste these and sow bugs/isopods help keep down the tedious need to replace substrate. A fortuitous discovery?. Waste food is easy to see and remove each day.
I have started replacing his food and water more often, and cleaning his cage a lot more often too. Instead of replacing the substrate, I just took it all out and poured boiling water over it. Seemed to get the job done, so now I have clean substrate and no more bugs.

HelpME

Texas
You are lucky to have springtails for free. They occur naturally in the environment and are natures cleaning crew. When they dont appear on their own, many reptile and amphibian keepers will buy them to add to the substrate. They keep the substrate fresh and people who enjoy keeping and reproducing small frogs also rely on them as a food source. I bought a culture of springtails via internet from Josh's Frogs a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. Whenever I set up a new terrestrial turtle habitat I add a handful of the culture to the substrate and they prevent the buildup of waste that I miss when spot cleaning. Another benefit is they outcompete fungus gnats which you really dont want to get established in your house.
Wow thanks for telling me this, I got so worried lol.

HelpME

Texas
I'll third that...springtails...my blind box turtle had them in her habitat so bad...I couldn't stand it anymore, even tho she didn't seem to notice...so I took her out, cleaned out any food scraps and poured boiling hot water over the soil...mixed it all around...waited abt a week...put her beck in and she is fine now...
Did the same! It seemed to work, thank you very much!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well...Saphire won't eat his food if he smells bugs so good idea. Just in case...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh BTW...I have 5 tortoise tables here in the house for nighttime and winter...and 3 of them have the same substrate I put in 14 years ago when I moved here...a daily spot cleaning and spring tails and my substrate is nice...