Bugs in water bowl

jenny92

Hi everyone, we have a 1year old Herman named Hershel :) the last 3 mornings there has been tiny tiny bugs floating in a group on the top of his water bowl, I have obviously taken it out straight away, washed it and poured a kettle of boiling water over it to try and sterilise it and then replaced with fresh water, but they are there again the next morning. Does anybody know what/why it could be? And has anyone else experienced this? I really don't want him to get poorly!! I'll attach a picture. Thank you in advance
Jenny, Andy and Hershel xxx

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466195581.792527.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466195622.808204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I can't make out any details of the insects in your water dish, but they're not a problem. No need to sterilize anything. Odds are they'll complete their lifecycle (unless they start another one) and you won't notice them for a while again.

As far as your tortoise goes...all they do is add a little extra protein to his diet if he eats them.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It actually looked like dirt in the photo. Sometimes the dirt floats in a little egg-like cluster on top. But if they really are bugs, I discovered that a bunch were living underneath my tort's log. I switched from a wood log to a cement log and *poof*, the bugs were gone! Do you have a log for your tort that could be causing the problem?

jenny92

Yeah, it's a bad picture! I took a video too of them moving around but it won't upload. They are definitely alive but does look like dirt in the pic. Yes we do have one! I will try that thank you

GingerLove

5 Year Member
And don't worry, bugs don't hurt the tortoise. I just like to get rid of them for myself personally! If you want a cement log, then look near the aquatic turtle stuff in a pet store and they should have one. It costs a bit but it's worth it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably springtails. I think they must come in the bags of substrate. They're not harmful, just irritating to know they're in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a common type of substrate fly. They are present in the environment around your house and your tortoise enclosure offers a perfect place for them to set up house. They are harmless detrivores. You can simply ignore them.

If you really don't like them, you can boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate about every two weeks.

Personally, I ignore them.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I agree with Tom! If you use coconut coir or something like it, then just microwave the brick before you use it. It zaps all the bugs. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Tom! If you use coconut coir or something like it, then just microwave the brick before you use it. It zaps all the bugs. :)

There is a common misconception that these bugs are being introduced with the new substrate. While that is physically possible, it is not the norm in my experience. Even with sterilized substrate, these bugs will still show up and colonize the tortoise enclosure. They are present in the environment around our homes. That is why people have to continually work to eradicate them every couple of weeks.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
There is a common misconception that these bugs are being introduced with the new substrate. While that is physically possible, it is not the norm in my experience. Even with sterilized substrate, these bugs will still show up and colonize the tortoise enclosure. They are present in the environment around our homes. That is why people have to continually work to eradicate them every couple of weeks.

Tom is spot on! While they do a good share of work cleaning your torts enclosure, they can become a massive infestation if left alone with moist conditions. They need moisture and that's why your finding them in the water dish. I've tried many different methods like diatomaceous earth, having other crustaceans like pill bugs to control food supply, to baking substrate, to freezing substrate, to spraying with vinegar and dish soap......and they just keep coming back in larger numbers. Best bet is just replace the substrate every 2-4 weeks #lovandhatespringtails

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Maybe putting one or two little froggies in there, they will eat the bugs.....but.....hmmmmm. Guess not.