Buds new home.

snivloc16

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I forgot to mention I totally agree with everything else though. Fatten that little guy up. Dubai roaches are a great food. Dragons are eating machines when they’re younger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I have never seen an impaction surgery. And I should have been a lot more clear. Jub jubs enclosure was not just sand. I had a lot of rocks, stones and branches in there to create little caves and for him to climb on. The sand/dirt mix was just kind of a base. I did some more research as it has been years since I had him. And you’re right it does sound like walnut shells are the worst thing you could have. My mistake. But as far as sand I really think it gets a bad rap on hear. Not saying it should be used alone or in large amounts but I do mix a little bit in with my hermanns enclosure substrate of coco coir and top soil. Sand in some form is a natural part of almost every environment. And helps for soil to drain better. I have to mix some in my outside enclosure or my soil gets so compacted my guy can’t dig good.
A lot of people feel that way about the sand. I've come across many people who have used it for years and not had a problem with it… Until the day comes that they have a problem and realize they just got lucky all those years.

To me it is not worth the risk. There is no benefit to it, and other substrates work as well or better, with less risk. If people want to use it, I can't stop them, but my goal is to discourage it and explain why. I've seen so many reptiles die from it, and there is just no reason to use it.

snivloc16

Kansas
A lot of people feel that way about the sand. I've come across many people who have used it for years and not had a problem with it… Until the day comes that they have a problem and realize they just got lucky all those years.

To me it is not worth the risk. There is no benefit to it, and other substrates work as well or better, with less risk. If people want to use it, I can't stop them, but my goal is to discourage it and explain why. I've seen so many reptiles die from it, and there is just no reason to use it.

Well you have way more experience than me it sounds like so I will definitely not tell anyone to use it. What else could i use outdoors to help my soil drain better? Maybe it’s no big deal but sometimes it just gets so compacted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well you have way more experience than me it sounds like so I will definitely not tell anyone to use it. What else could i use outdoors to help my soil drain better? Maybe it’s no big deal but sometimes it just gets so compacted.
Our soil here is pretty hard packed. I don't do anything to amend it. On hot summer days, I run sprinklers on it, but my russians have never had any problem digging in to it. All of my females of other species seem to be able to break into it with no problem for egg laying.