Bubbly Eyes-sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Our Indian star tortoise has bubbly eyes. We noticed it once before, about 2 weeks ago and soaked her. We had not seen it again until today. She gets soaked twice a week, and is kept on aspen. The weather has been poor, so she hasn't been outside in a week or so to have gotten into anything. Her nose is clear, and she has an amazing appetite (more than the average it seems). I will try to post a picture if I can manage to sneak one (once she pulls into her shell the bubbles get rubbed off). But the eyes are completely covered in tiny bubbles, and I doubt she can see through them. THey wipe off easily and appear to just be excess tears. But why bubbles? Is this familiar to anyone?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Bubbles are usually a sign of the relative humidity being to low. Does she have a humid hide?

Danny

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
Bubbles are usually a sign of the relative humidity being to low. Does she have a humid hide?

Danny

No she does not. We thought stars were prone to problems with being too humid, so there has never been one for her. We have never given humid hides to stars or pancakes. Everyone else has one though. If that's all, we can remedy that ASAP.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are they Indians or SriLankans? Either way it is probably not a big deal. I have some eye issues very rarely and they are almost always due to dehydration or humidity. Best wishes and don't worry too much. LOL Douglas

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My stars have a humid hide (I figure the bushes they hide under raise the humidity). I would assume the kopjes the pancakes hide in would have similar conditions.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Whew! OK, it seems things are ok then. We have already placed a humid hide in the warm area. Thanks for the help guys. :)

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Just to add that my 1 yr old Sri Lankans seem to prefer to sleep at the more humid area, so I don't think you need to worry about exposing your Stars with some humidities as long as you keep the temperature warm enough.

Reactions: Dan

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
What we're saying is: humidity!

Mine [ mainlands ] SIT IN their water dish.. [ no need to soak them - just provide their needs ].. they know what they need.

In the wild they experience 'monsoon' seasons.. which are also high temps.

Think of it this way: Their system is replacing the 'natural' tears by depleting their own system of vital fluids.. so you can imagine what the extreme dehydration results would be. Often soft-plastron is observed.. and the worst thing in that case is to remove the humidity. Balance is always the key. http://www.turtletary.com/Stars/REPTILESTARDoc.doc

High temps and humid is not a problem.. low temps and humid is!

Terry K

Reactions: Dan
Status
Not open for further replies.