Bubbles coming from hatchling’s nose

Location (City and/or State)
London, Ontario
I picked up my 7 month old Leopard Tortoise 6 days ago and have him in a closed chamber with 80% humidity and 80 degrees ambient temperature. His substrate is a layer of coconut coir topped with orchid bark. He has a shallow water dish he stomps through regularly, he is eating well. I take him outside for about an hour a day to get some sun. I soak him in warm water twice a day for 15 minutes. Yet this morning I noticed clear fluid bubbles coming out of his nostrils! He ate breakfast as usual and is active, however I want to make sure I do whatever it takes to help prevent a respiratory infection. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I do. Dark at night but still keeping the heat up using a CHE. Also still keeping the humidity at about 80 at night as well. Thanks for helping.
How are you measuring the temp? Where is the thermometer in relation to the heating elements?

When you soak, are you keeping the water warm the whole time?

What is the temperature outside when you sun your tortoise?

RIs are usually caused by low temps and/or stress. I'm trying to see when your tortoise might be getting too cool. Also, does it live alone?

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
Sorry. Thought you were the OP. Didn't notice the name change. What species have you got? What is the overnight low in the tortoise's enclosure?
[/QUOT just a red foot, but we are housing him/her inside so anywhere between 62 degrees F and 75 degrees F depending on the season

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
Sorry. Thought you were the OP. Didn't notice the name change. What species have you got? What is the overnight low in the tortoise's enclosure?
just a red foot, but we are housing him/her inside so anywhere between 62 degrees F and 75 degrees F depending on the season

London, Ontario
How are you measuring the temp? Where is the thermometer in relation to the heating elements?

When you soak, are you keeping the water warm the whole time?

What is the temperature outside when you sun your tortoise?

RIs are usually caused by low temps and/or stress. I'm trying to see when your tortoise might be getting too cool. Also, does it live alone?
I am using a thermostat typically used for heat mats in farming I believe. The CHE is plugged into the thermostat, the end that reads temperature is positioned just above where my little one spends most of his time, so it is below the heating element but close to the ground. I am now maintaining the ambient temperature at closer to 90 degrees. I bring him outside and stay with him when it is sunny and warm...similar to his enclosure temperature. He lives alone. I will keep closer watch on the temperature of his bath water. I can see how it would be a source of stress if the water got too cold. Great suggestion. This morning no bubbles and still eating like a champ. ?? So to be very clear, the best environment for him is 80 % humidity and maybe 85-90 degrees temperature consistently...day and night, correct? I really appreciate your help. Thank-you for taking the time ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am using a thermostat typically used for heat mats in farming I believe. The CHE is plugged into the thermostat, the end that reads temperature is positioned just above where my little one spends most of his time, so it is below the heating element but close to the ground. I am now maintaining the ambient temperature at closer to 90 degrees. I bring him outside and stay with him when it is sunny and warm...similar to his enclosure temperature. He lives alone. I will keep closer watch on the temperature of his bath water. I can see how it would be a source of stress if the water got too cold. Great suggestion. This morning no bubbles and still eating like a champ. ?? So to be very clear, the best environment for him is 80 % humidity and maybe 85-90 degrees temperature consistently...day and night, correct? I really appreciate your help. Thank-you for taking the time ?
Keep the warmer temps going for at least two weeks after you see no symptoms. Keep soaking daily with all the extra electric heat.

After those two weeks, I would move the thermostat's probe over to the coolest corner farthest away from the CHE and other heat sources. At that point, you can reset it down to 80. Use a thermometer to verify the temperature and don't trust the read-out on the thermostat itself.

Some enclosures require two CHEs to spread the heat out. Or a larger wattage CHE, or a RHP in combination. Many options to do it and your thermometer will tell you when you've got it right.

London, Ontario
I will do that. Thank you. I also have a temperature gun to read temperatures throughout the enclosure. It takes a bit of fussing around to get everything just right doesn’t it? But that is part of the enjoyment. I had forgotten how much extra is involved with raising a hatchling. And this is the first time I am trying the 80/80 rule.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep the warmer temps going for at least two weeks after you see no symptoms. Keep soaking daily with all the extra electric heat.

After those two weeks, I would move the thermostat's probe over to the coolest corner farthest away from the CHE and other heat sources. At that point, you can reset it down to 80. Use a thermometer to verify the temperature and don't trust the read-out on the thermostat itself.

Some enclosures require two CHEs to spread the heat out. Or a larger wattage CHE, or a RHP in combination. Many options to do it and your thermometer will tell you when you've got it right.
Thanks Tom!