BTS update!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
So thanks to a very lovely link lisa127 gave me (bluetoungskinks.net) I have found 4 northern BTS breeders in the US who ship! :D (sorry! kind of long, it's been awhile!) Anyway, that was happy, and so I started talking to a very nice breeder in Virginia, and we were talking about baby blue tongues and availability... and it was a little tiny bit disappointing, because she had these gorgeous caramel babies in September (which was the LAST littler of the year she was expecting!!) and they were reserved before they were born, so I was little late to the wagon :(
Anyway, I asked her if there would be any litters at the start of the year, BUT apparently hibernating for breeding isn't just a thing for torts, it's a ting for BTSs too! So her breeding adults will wake up in April-May, she said, and then hopefully there'll be a few littlers from August-September.
So, to sum up, no baby blue tongues in the winter. :(
I'm a little sad about this, because if I get a reservation now, just after the last breeding season, I could have a pre-set baby a couple weeks after he/she is born, but I'm iffy about this, because I want to see him/her and choose! What if my baby is unusually aggressive? I feel like I'm being too picky, but I also feel like if I'm going to make a reservation, and pay for a little guy who may potentially not exist, or something could happen, and the fact it's almost a ENTIRE YEAR from now! :(
I'm wayyy over thinking this, aren't I???
So I can do that, and make a reservation, because this is pretty much universal for all other 3 breeders I was looking at, OR I could wait and hope that after the blue tongues are born, I can hope to get a little guy (which is unlikely, because apparently almost all of her babies are reserved by the time they're born) OR I could rescue, but I'm not finding many little ones, even juveniles, and I know this sounds terrible at mean, but I'm, doing this with my own! :( I made that decision a wile ago, for many reasons :(
So, to just add onto that fact, and to make me even more disaponted, I was browsing the net, and I found this site called ReptilesDownUnder. And I mean, I found the BTS MOTHERLOAD. I mean, EVERY BTS species available, babies, adults, the whole shebang! I had already found these adorable super dark northern babies with light patterns and they were soooo cute, when I realized it was based in Australia...which has law forbidding the export of native reptile species, like blue tongues.
So yeah, disappoint.
What option would you guys go with? Am I over thinking this, and just like PICK ALREADY? :p;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest you make the reservation. All the breeders on bluetongueskinks.net are very upfront about expected litters and in addition are there after the delivery. Remember that a BTS is well worth the wait. During the waiting period you setup correctly. As to an unusually aggressive one, I have yet to see one. As to rescues, they do show up (I have two) but they are usually adults.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would suggest you make the reservation. All the breeders on bluetongueskinks.net are very upfront about expected litters and in addition are there after the delivery. Remember that a BTS is well worth the wait. During the waiting period you setup correctly. As to an unusually aggressive one, I have yet to see one. As to rescues, they do show up (I have two) but they are usually adults.

Well lookee who is here! Hey Stranger! :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Been busy and don't get here often.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Will the breeder let you choose once they are born? I know others will be on the list but do they do a choose by purchase date order?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The choice is normally determined by the order the deposits are received in by date.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man. Reading all that made my head hurt. You are making this wayyyyyyyy too complicated. Our own JeffG is on that site and he is one of the top BTS breeders in the whole country. His BTSs are already up and breeding and he will have babies in a couple of months, if not sooner. I have one of his babies from a few years ago and let me tell you, I don't see how you could do better. And he is a great guy on top of all that.

@JeffG Would you please help this young person out?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Tom, give Jeff a look and he does have BTS breeding now.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Man. Reading all that made my head hurt. You are making this wayyyyyyyy too complicated. Our own JeffG is on that site and he is one of the top BTS breeders in the whole country. His BTSs are already up and breeding and he will have babies in a couple of months, if not sooner. I have one of his babies from a few years ago and let me tell you, I don't see how you could do better. And he is a great guy on top of all that.

@JeffG Would you please help this young person out?
I may be over thinking it a bit. :confused: I really want to make the right investment here, and I have contacted Jeff, but I don't think he's in.