bts she needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

teresa7829

5 Year Member
Hi we have a Blue Tongue Skinks for the past 4 yrs, she was about a year old when we got her at a reptile convention (i do not recommend). She has always been a good eater and very healthy or so we thought. In the last month she has barely been eating, now let me preface this by saying we tried many times to get her to eat crickets or meal worms with no success, she only likes fruit. In four years she has grown so we did not think this was a problem. Yesturday we took her to the vet only to find out that she has had parasites since we got her ( he gave her meds for that) but also that she was very protein difficiant. We want her to make it, she is a social lizard and very sweet. I am not sure if we know enough to save this beautiful creature and did not know if there was anyone who wanted to and has the experience to take her and make her healthy. let me know, we are in KY. thanks so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Teresa:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I've moved your thread over to the lizard section hoping that more folks who know about lizards will be able to read it and help you.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
teresa7829 said:
Hi we have a Blue Tongue Skinks for the past 4 yrs, she was about a year old when we got her at a reptile convention (i do not recommend). She has always been a good eater and very healthy or so we thought. In the last month she has barely been eating, now let me preface this by saying we tried many times to get her to eat crickets or meal worms with no success, she only likes fruit. In four years she has grown so we did not think this was a problem. Yesturday we took her to the vet only to find out that she has had parasites since we got her ( he gave her meds for that) but also that she was very protein difficiant. We want her to make it, she is a social lizard and very sweet. I am not sure if we know enough to save this beautiful creature and did not know if there was anyone who wanted to and has the experience to take her and make her healthy. let me know, we are in KY. thanks so much.

Hi
I personally don't have info on bts but I know of a breeder here in Canada that seems to be very knowledgable , if you want their details please PM me and I'll search them out.
They had beautiful BTS at a reptile exhibit all very healthy friendly, and very successful in the breeding too etc.

Hope that helps

Tortoise said:
teresa7829 said:

Hi
I personally don't have info on bts but I know of a breeder here in Canada that seems to be very knowledgable , if you want their details please PM me and I'll search them out.
They had beautiful BTS at a reptile exhibit all very healthy friendly, and very successful in the breeding too etc.

Hope that helps

Ok I found the info more quickly than expected.
Here is a website and I'm sure Mel will answer emails etc she seemed very friendly and helpful at the expo.

http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/melsexotics/

teresa7829

5 Year Member
Tortoise said:
Hi

Hope that helps

Ok I found the info more quickly than expected.
Here is a website and I'm sure Mel will answer emails etc she seemed very friendly and helpful at the expo.

http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/melsexotics/

Thank u soooo much I will get ahold of her and see what we can do. Lil blue is such a great lil girl and I want her to make it!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Whenever I've had BTS in the past, I have noticed an decrease in interest for crickets and other insect prey. Maybe its because they get larger, i.e. slower...I dunno.

I always supplemented my BTS's veggies and fruits with some form of canned monitor or tegu diet. Not a whole lot, maybe 30% of their food that day. If they don't show interest in it cold, heat it up for a few seconds on the microwave to "stink it up" so they can smell it better. All me BTS loved this stuff and still ate their veggies, too.

It's not the best, but you could also use low-fat canned dog food as a TEMPORARY substitute.

You can also try large earthworms (night crawlers) if you can locate them this time of year.

And I know this may seem terribly barbaric to the tortoise crowd but....my BTS would also take (gasp)...small pinky or fuzzy mice. I know, I'm a terrible animal abuser. :p Actually, this was a very rare treat whenever one of my snakes refused a meal and I had leftover prekilled frozen/thawed rodents that I didn't want to go to waste.

...and welcome to the forum! Do you have any other reptile pets?

teresa7829

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Teresa:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I've moved your thread over to the lizard section hoping that more folks who know about lizards will be able to read it and help you.

Thanks so much hopefully I can find someone who is
more experienced and would be willing to give her a good home and a hope at surviving this.

teresa7829

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
Whenever I've had BTS in the past, I have noticed an decrease in interest for crickets and other insect prey. Maybe its because they get larger, i.e. slower...I dunno.

I always supplemented my BTS's veggies and fruits with some form of canned monitor or tegu diet. Not a whole lot, maybe 30% of their food that day. If they don't show interest in it cold, heat it up for a few seconds on the microwave to "stink it up" so they can smell it better. All me BTS loved this stuff and still ate their veggies, too.

It's not the best, but you could also use low-fat canned dog food as a TEMPORARY substitute.

You can also try large earthworms (night crawlers) if you can locate them this time of year.

And I know this may seem terribly barbaric to the tortoise crowd but....my BTS would also take (gasp)...small pinky or fuzzy mice. I know, I'm a terrible animal abuser. :p Actually, this was a very rare treat whenever one of my snakes refused a meal and I had leftover prekilled frozen/thawed rodents that I didn't want to go to waste.

...and welcome to the forum! Do you have any other reptile pets?

No she is our only reptile. I got her because I love snakes but can't tolerate the whole mouse thing. We feel like such losers that she is in the state she is as we thought she was healthy :(

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, is she acting okay? Does she look skinny? Can she still walk and use all of her limbs? I only ask because you said you took her to the vet (which is good!) but you never mentioned any symptoms. Also, you say she is grown, but exactly how large is she? Can you post some pictures?

There are actually several different types/localities of BTS and some grow larger than others.

teresa7829

5 Year Member
She is very skinny and wouldnt eat. Her hips and spine were getting boney. We took her to a vet that specializes in lizards and knew what it was right away. I will post some pics when I get home so you can let me know what you think. Thx so much!!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
While we're waiting for pics, what's your set-up like? Cage, substrate, lighting, heating, temperatures, etc?

teresa7829

5 Year Member
55 gallon tank. Soft bark type bottom. Heating pad under half of the tank. Climbing/hiding cave like rock. Large watering hole.

image-190035851.png

Here she is . She is about 16 in long

image-3836044197.png

Notice how thin and boney her hips are

Attachments

• image-2603013309.png
    image-2603013309.png
    367.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image-2243743976.png
    image-2243743976.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 19

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, definitely skinny. :( But BTS are resilient little stinkers, so with a little improvement to her diet and her habitat, I think she'll be pull through.
-----------

I generally do not prefer using 55-gal tanks for most reptiles because of their limited floor space, narrow shape (only 12" wide) and increased height. For a predominantly terrestrial lizard, this is really one of the poorest choices for enclosures. The tank is 20"+ tall and its mostly wasted space. If you do the math, a 40-gal breeder actually has MORE of a footprint in terms of square inches than a 55 gal, although it technically is less volume. But I do understand 55-gals are sometimes easier/cheaper to come by, and you may have already had it before you got the skink. If you do decide to keep her, I would consider a shallower, wider enclosure, because even a healthy 16" BTS may have trouble turning around in a 12" wide tank! You may want to look into a large plastic storage bin for Christmas trees (which are probably on sale right about now!).

Like I said before, part of the reason housing a reptile in a 55-gal can be problematic is its height, especially if the animal is small or spends most of its time on the bottom. This is not an impossible issue to overcome though. But with only a heating pad, your skink has no warmth. The undertank heat pad does not warm the enclosure; it only provides supplemental belly heat when the lizard is actually lying on top of it. What I suggest is a heat lamp over one side of the tank (ideally the same side the pad is on). You will want to get a thermometer to make sure you're getting the proper temps inside. I would provide a basking spot of about 100'F, and try to keep the ambient temps in the tank in the upper 70s at least.

It is debatable whether or not BTS actually require UV lighting. I know I kept my last one from a 1-month-old to 2-yrs completely without UV and he looked awesome (I'll have to post a pic later). I know a few others who have had equal success without UV. However, they certainly can still benefit from it and it never hurts to provide it to them if you have the means. Given the current condition of your skink, you may want to. I would suggest getting a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB). These bulbs actually provide both sufficient UVB rays and adequate basking heat, eliminating the need to have two different lights on your tank.
----------

How is she acting? Can she still walk around on her own? Is she eating anything on her own?

This was our last one, Baby Sinclair. He was a Irian Jaya BTS.

sinclair1-1.jpg

Hard to tell in the pics, but I think yours may be an Irian Jaya as well. They can get larger than 16" though. Baby Sinclair's mom was over 20 inches!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All I can say is that with the parasites being treated, your BTS appetite should improve. How about smearing some type of commercial lizard food on the food it will eat.

teresa7829

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for being so incredibly helpful! Our tank is one of those short wide 55 gallon so it measures 18 1/2 wide 36 long and 17 high. We use coconut bark reptile substrate. Vet has her on an A/D diet that I have to seringe into her mouth 3 times a day.

teresa7829 said:
Thanks so much for being so incredibly helpful! Our tank is one of those short wide 55 gallon so it measures 18 1/2 wide 36 long and 17 high. We use coconut bark reptile substrate. Vet has her on an A/D diet that I have to seringe into her mouth 3 times a day.

Oh and we will look into a heat light too. She has much more alert now that I am giving her hot baths and the A/D diet 3 times a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First of all, I'm sending a link to this thread to Jeff G. He's a member here and not only is he a nice guy, he's a breeder of BTS too. He really knows his stuff.

Until he comes along here's my take on things. I see three problems:
1. Diet. Sounds like your vet has prescribed you some dog food. That's good. These lizards are like garbage disposals and will eat just about anything. I did a lot of research and I talked to Jeff a lot before I got mine. You can feed them just about anything, in a reasonable balance, and they will do okay on it. I think your issue was a lack of balance. The diet the Jeff recommended, after he explained why he recommended it, is Pedigree canned beef dog food and frozen/defrosted mixed veggies. This combo seems to give excellent results over the long term with many animals. I know it sounds "unnatural", but it has been working perfectly for me, and I have to also defer to a man with Jeff's vast experience with these particular animals. He likes the Pedigree because all the fillers and stuff that makes us think its not the best diet for dogs, is exactly what makes it so good for them. I also give mine roaches, other veggies and fruit in small amounts, calcium powder, and occasional other stuff, but Jeff tells me the Pedigree and veggies is enough.

2. Ditch the heating pad and get an overhead light source for basking. I prefer Mercury Vapor Bulbs and would highly recommend that in this case, for the added UV benefits. They need to bask and they need a basking spot of around 100. Raise or lower either your fixture or your basking platform in order to get this temp right. Your lizard cannot use the food and nutrition you are offering, if it cannot bask and warm up to the right temps. This should be remedied TODAY. Like right now.

3. Parasites. Some amount of parasitization is normal for a wild caught. Its up to you and your vet to decide if the amount that your animals has is part of the problem or not, and whether or not to treat them at this time.

At this point I would NOT recommend changing cages or substrate as this will only create more stress. I also would not recommend moving the lizard to someone else's care for the same reason. You have some minor set up and nutrition issues that have become a problem over the long term. You can and should fix these issues yourself, at home, where this lizard is already comfortable. Once you get the weight back up, the set up right with overhead heat and UV, THEN I would think about rehoming (if you still want to) and or setting up a bigger, better enclosure. Good luck to you. :)

Jeff is offline, but I PMd and emailed him for you. If he says something different than me, you should ignore me and listen to him. I have the highest regard for his experience and knowledge with BTS.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
teresa7829 said:
Thanks so much for being so incredibly helpful! Our tank is one of those short wide 55 gallon so it measures 18 1/2 wide 36 long and 17 high.

Gotcha. My mistake. Like Tom said, don't change the caging then.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hi Teresa, welcome to the forum! Tom said some funny things about me, but he has given you good advice. I have been keeping and breeding bts for years, but I certainly don't claim that there is only one way to keep them. I will just tell you what I would do in your case, and it is up to you to decide what you feel is best.

Your skink is an Irian Jaya, and being from a reptile expo is almost certainly wild caught. Like Tom said, it is normal (and harmless) for a bts to have a normal parasite load. Not only do all wild bts have them, so do captive bred. These parasites are normally managed naturally so that they don't become a problem, however, if the skink becomes stressed or ill, the parasite load can expand out of control. This can lead to death, but does not have to if you treat them like you have. It is critical to get the parasites under control though, otherwise your skink can eat all day and still not gain weight.

Your skink is EXTREMELY skinny. This is probably partly due to parasites, but also the diet you have been feeding. There is also a good chance that he is dehydrated. Do you see him drink at all? Soaking can encourage drinking but they usually won't drink while they are soaking, but afterward. Fruit is not necessary at all for bts, and should never be fed more than occassionally. At the MAX, fruit should not make up more than 10% of a bts diet. I would recommend you take the advice to get some dog food into him. This a a great source of protien for bts, and is designed as an omnivorous food which is a perfect base to feed them. You don't even need to worry about what kind - just find something he will eat. Most of them love dog food, but they can also be reluctant to eat anything they are not familiar with. I would just offer him dog food and nothing else (except the supplements your vet has prescribed) every day. He may not eat it at first, but don't give him any fruit just because he doesn't. Eating fruit right now is NO better than eating nothing at all. A healthy skink can go months without eating. I have about 24 breeders that have not eaten since The middle of November, and they won't be offered food again until February.

Keep him warm until he is healthy. An abient temperature of 85-90 would be good 24/7. A ceramic heat emitter, IR heat projector, or red reptile bulb will all work for night time heat. Make sure he has a basking spot of at least 100 for 12 hours a day as well.

I wouldn't change anything else right now. It sounds like you found a good vet which is a big help. Bts are incredibly hardy animals that can overcome things you wouldn't believe. The key is to get some weight on that guy! As far as general care goes, I would keep an IJ exactly how I keep my northerns which is described 0n my website: http://www.btskinks.com/Northerns.html Good luck, and feel free to pm me or ask more questions here if you want.

teresa7829

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
Gotcha. My mistake. Like Tom said, don't change the caging then.

Thanks so much!! We r getting. Heat bulb tonight and have moved the entire setup into a warmer room. With the heat pad turned up and the baths she already feels warmer and has been really alert. The vet said that bts naturally have a certain amount of parasites but hers was out of control. So she had one dose of mess yesterday and will go back in 2 wks for another dose . Hopefully she will start plumping up. Although the vet said to give her 30 ounces 3 times a day of this a/d food but she will only take 10 at a time before she starts spitting it out. Guess I will try to and some veggies in her cage and see if she nibbles that too. Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful with the heating pad. That is not a natural way for a basking lizard to warm up and they don't have the mechanism in place to tell them to get off of it if one part is too warm. They can burn themselves pretty easily. You really need over head heat. I like a mercury vapor bulb or regular incandescent for heat during the day and a ceramic heating element for night. You can put the CHE on a thermostat and set the temp where you want it to be.

teresa7829

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Be careful with the heating pad. That is not a natural way for a basking lizard to warm up and they don't have the mechanism in place to tell them to get off of it if one part is too warm. They can burn themselves pretty easily. You really need over head heat. I like a mercury vapor bulb or regular incandescent for heat during the day and a ceramic heating element for night. You can put the CHE on a thermostat and set the temp where you want it to be.

we got a heating lamp and turned the heating pad to low so it is just a low warm for her belly, put it low enough that she has no chance of burning herself. thx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.