Brumation

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
I decided to let the box be as is. I will let you all know in the spring.
Here, ground temps are freezing at times, when above-ground is passable, and he is insulated by leaves and needles.. Was told by that expert that un-brumating can cause death if early. :(

I've "un-brumated" them a lot , every year I can think of I've gotten one or two early ….. I've not been real confident of a few over the years and hibernated them a month or two whereas it's normally about 7 months here ……. I did one this year for a month , and one for two months , one has ear abscesses and the other was with it and another with a respiratory infection whom I didn't even let try to hibernate ……. if your box turtle cannot dig into the natural ground don't leave him out . eastern box turtles don't go very deep , but I've seen them down up to about 6 inches below natural ground level ………. counting the ground cover leaves , grass and branches would put them down 2 1/2' -3' feet from the surface

Birmingham, alabama
I've "un-brumated" them a lot , every year I can think of I've gotten one or two early ….. I've not been real confident of a few over the years and hibernated them a month or two whereas it's normally about 7 months here ……. I did one this year for a month , and one for two months , one has ear abscesses and the other was with it and another with a respiratory infection whom I didn't even let try to hibernate ……. if your box turtle cannot dig into the natural ground don't leave him out . eastern box turtles don't go very deep , but I've seen them down up to about 6 inches below natural ground level ………. counting the ground cover leaves , grass and branches would put them down 2 1/2' -3' feet from the surface

Now I am really scared. :( I am new to all this. m My box CHOSE that place, inside the acrylic enclosure, but... he is a wild box and probably made a mistake..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nothing to be scared about. Just pile up leaves and garden trash over the acrylic enclosure so it's 2' high or higher. He'll be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just let him come out by himself. Once the nights are consistently over 50F he'll start to unbury himself

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the below quote has me picturing the turtle in an acrylic box on it's side with the opening sideways ? if that is the case and he doesn't have access to dig in the natural ground , imo it's a pretty risky way to hibernate a turtle .......my winters are much harsher than yours , but i've seen turtles without access to the natural ground freeze to death before ...... if the ground side of the acrylic box is open , allowing the turtle to dig into the NATURAL ground , then as Yvonne said i wouldn't worry ......

So let me make sure I have the picture correctly: You have an acrylic 'box' laying on its side and the turtle is inside the box. Then you've stuffed the box with pine needles, leaves, etc. You can also pile up garden trash and leaves over the top of the box. I like my mound to be at least 2' high.

YES. we have a large enclosur e- teh box lived there, tere was a little pnd, shallow, food, climbing mounds. Then he as the temp dropped decided to hibernate, but chose that sill ACRYLIC box. With substrate, bark. and needles and leaves. on top also - but on top of the tank!