Brumation season hello!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys,

I haven't been on here in a while due to lots going on in life, but my juvenile DTs are getting ready to go down for the winter and I thought it was a good time to check in and say hello. Kind of like the tortoise version of a Christmas card.

I hope everybody's torts are doing well. This will be our second winter with tortoises and I'm considerably less nervous this time, but still bummed about not getting to see them for a stretch. Our long California drought has made for a very tortoise friendly summer -- it wasn't until two nights ago when we finally got a cold rain that Gomez and Morticia came back into the house to sleep.

Like last year, I'll be brumating them in double boxes in a non-working chest freezer in the back yard shed.

Morticia stopped eating about two weeks ago, Gomez about a week ago. Last year we put them in their boxes Nov. 10. We might put Gomez in a little later this year cause he's still pretty active.

Here's a pic of Morticia catching some of her last sunshine of the season today: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414956595.651319.jpg

Happy tort holidays everybody!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I was so thinking about you.....happy to hear in from you and the torts....and what a kissable mug in that pic....FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Ida

Very nice looking tortoise, take up all that sun little guy.

This too will be my 2nd winter with my DT and like you I'm going to miss seeing her during the winter....what will I do?

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Morticia is SOOOO cute!!! Happy hibernation!

Yeah, I know the feeling. What we do with ourselves when our babies are napping for the winter? I'm going to try to remember to update my turtle/tortoise care info that I wrote so that people would know what to do if anything ever happened to me. My animals all have their very specific needs and wants. And if things are not done correctly they definitely can get their knickers in a twist!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the kind replies, guys! I boxed both of my torts today for winter. Sigh.

Both Gomez and Morticia gained about 20% of their body weight over the summer; both have been practically inert this past week; and both have had 3 poop-free soaks over the last 10 days.

We've got a cool spell coming in, so the time seemed right. Still it makes me wistful. When I put them in their boxes they scratched around for about 10 minutes and then it got quiet. I'll check on them before I go to bed, in hopes that they've settled in.